all zero boys

eastside (acoustic) / benny blanco

"I thought you said nothing fatal happened to you!" Mom screeches. I groan, turning over in my bed so that my pillow gets rid of both the light and my ability to breathe.

"Daisy!" Mom yells again. I turn my head to the side, my ear resting on the pillow. I squint, hoping to block out some of the bright light brought to me by Mom, and search for my alarm clock. When I spot it, I groan and return my head to the suffocating position.

"Mom, it's three in the morning!" I exclaim, my voice muffled due to my pillow. Hopefully my annoyance pokes through clearly and she takes the hint.

"Daisy, the cast!" she shrieks, ignoring the hint.

"Mom, the insomnia," I whine drowsily.

"You are many things, Daisy Anne, but unless an insomniac is someone who could fall asleep literally anywhere, you are not one," Mom counters. I turn my head in time to watch her dim my bedroom light, a feature I have grown fond of.

I sit up and rest my back against the bed frame, keeping my eyes on my mom while she jumps on the foot of my bed.

"How'd I know you picked yellow?" Mom murmurs, staring at my wrist. I roll my eyes. Her gaze sharpens and her eyes narrow. A millisecond passes and suddenly she's gripping my cast, practically on top of me.

"It's signed! Is that a boy's name? Two boys' names? Lincoln? And who's Lewis? Are they a couple? Lincoln and Lewis? That's cute! Are they your friends? Special friends? Boyfriends? Both of—?"

"Mom!" I cut her off. She looks up from the cast with her sparkly green eyes. The smile on her face gets impossibly wider as I groan in frustration.

"You didn't happen to drink coffee in the last hour, did you?" I ask her. She fiddles with her thumbs, keeping her gaze on her lap. I laugh. "Mom, you'll never sleep."

"I know, Daiz, but I had to survive the drive home," she tells me. She lifts her head, her blonde hair going all over the place. In an instant, she jumps off my bed and pulls me up with her. "Let's go watch Disney movies. I have some funny stories to tell you."

I cross my arms and trudge after her, grabbing my phone on the way out.

"The bride and groom had some interesting guests," Mom informs me as we descend the steps. When we reach the bottom, she turns into the kitchen and I go to the living room.

"You hungry?" Mom calls from the kitchen. I shake my head at her, crossing the living room.

"No!" I call back. I pull a blanket out of our basket and go to the couch. As I make myself comfortable, I hear the Keurig machine going to work. Is she making herself more coffee?

I sigh, pulling my phone out of my sweatshirt pocket. I turn it on as I lean back and pull the blanket up to my chin.

I read my notifications, all of which confuse me.

1:28 A.M.
from: Momma
Hey, Daisy. You're probably asleep. At least, you better be. If not, expect consequences. Haha, jk. I'm on my way home. Had lots of coffee. Lol. See ya!!

My mom said jk and lol in the same text. She manages to surprise me in little ways every single day.

12:45 A.M.
from: unknown number
hey, its riley. i hope this is your number. got it from beatrice. not sure that she likes me, so there is a great chance that this is a prank. anyway, i was wondering if saturday worked for you. i could come around noon. of course, you'd have to send me you address. if this isnt daisy, please ignore that. thank ya.