Say Less

"Who was that walking you home?" my grandma asked causing me to jump as I stepped away from the curtains.

I thought she was laying up in her bed waiting for me, not sitting up in the living room folding laundry. This was rare and unusual if you asked me something gotta be up.

She stayed couped up in that room of hers at night waiting for me to come home before she goes sleep.

"No one special" I shrugged taking off my coat and hanging it on the coat rack by the door.

"He seemed special to me got you standing up behind them curtains looking after his tall self" she said looking at me over her reading glasses.

I shook my head and chuckled

"Mama if he was somebody worth telling you about I promise I won't hold out on you".

I sat on the chair to the side of her and turned the television on not that I was interested in anything that was airing but the fact is mama can read me to a T and I be damned if I tell her I was almost raped and freak her out.

I mean I was saved by the notorious Black himself ain't much to tell if he already handled it, I mean ain't shit anybody else could do police don't like coming down these streets.

"When you're ready to tell me what's bothering you I'm all ears" I turned to stare at her as she continued folding our laundry. I have absolutely no intention on telling her anything so I hope she don't put pressure one me to do so. I turn away from her and stare at the television pretending to be interested whatever drama Shay got into on love and hip hop Miami, this chick stay in some mess bout a man.

"But since you don't wanna talk I will" she paused, waiting for my undivided attention that I give to her unquestionably. "I've been thinking about joining Patrice and them at Sunrise at Mill Basin.

"You want to go to a nursing home?" I asked stressing on the home, I'm a bit confused she think she grown just telling me she wanna go someplace else. "But why...what's wrong with here living with me?"

"Nic ain't a damn thing wrong other than you not living your life...you living a life to accommodate me you ain't never been on no date since your prom two years ago and that don't count, you work come home, sometimes go to the courts when Trisha literally drags you down there that's it".

"If you must know mama" I started off with fake attitude smacking my lips, "I like my life the way it is you don't have to go no where you not a burden to me" I finished in a semi-pleading voice.

I loved my gramma I don't want her in a home she didn't put me in one and I be damned if she feels the need to leave cause she thinks she a burden or whatever.

"I don't feel like a burden Nic I just need to be around people my age and you need to go out more live for yourself and not worry about me"

"So I'm to stay in this house by myself?" I questioned

"Nope" she said popping her 'p' I smirked at her antics, she swear she young and let her tell it to you, she is young.

"Trisha is going to move in here with you split the bills and y'all work at the same place, its closer for her and you'd have company ion like you out in these streets by yourself.

We live on Stuyvesant avenue in Bedsty the drive to the home she'd be moving into isn't that far from our house, a one story flat with two bedrooms a bath, a kitchen, a small porch and a living room. We were comfortable the house stayed clean I mean we got minor cracks here and there a lil ware and tear in the furniture but all is good ain't shit bad compared to the other houses round here most of em is lil whore houses and traps anyway.