Chapter 5: A Meeting With Warenung

Warenung stomped around the area in his home which Michael suspected must be the man's kitchen of sorts though there was no place to heat or cook anything. The only resemblance of a kitchen came from a large, bowl-shaped basin filled with water and a tall collection of dishes next to it which appeared very wobbly and Michael wondered that they were not toppling over.

The round man was snatching cups and bowls from the stacks of dishes and mumbling something to himself. He set them on the table then disappeared out his front door. Michael and Sir Cuenca were bewildered by their host.

"Is he crazy?" Michael asked in a whisper. "What are all the things on these shelves and in these drawers?"

Sir Cuenca examined the room and shrugged in curious agreement but had no time to respond as Warenung stormed back in and shut the door behind him.

"Hope you like berries," the host said.

"Berries? Where did you find berries? We haven't seen any berry bushes since we entered the trees," Michael questioned.

Warenung laughed from the depth of his throat. "That's just it, kid. You think finding and seeing are the same thing. You have to go lookin' to find anything at all. Can't just wander around like a schmuck and expect to stumble across it. Things gotta be sought to be found."

Sir Cuenca nodded in agreement, but Michael could tell the short man's tone bothered him.

Warenung set the basket of berries he'd brought inside onto the table next to a candle that Michael hadn't even noticed was burning. Seems an awful hazard to keep a lit candle when one's abode is made entirely of grass and wood, Michael thought to himself. Though as he looked closer, he noticed that the flame didn't flicker and the wax didn't run in melted drops down the side. He looked at Sir Cuenca who shrugged. He certainly is out of sorts here, isn't he? He knows barely more than I about this place after all! Michael battled with the urge to ask Warenung about the candle but thought better of it. Perhaps he would save his questions for things that really mattered. (Of course, even now Michael complains that it did matter or else it wouldn't still be eating at him- the mystery of the candle, that is.)

"Sit, sit. We've much to talk about and I've no doubt you've got quite a tale to share with even me though I doubt you could tell me anything I couldn't guess myself." Warenung finished the sentence before stuffing a handful of berries into his mouth.

He slid a wooden bowl to each of his guests and the three of them took a seat at the table.

"Now tell me," he said with his mouth still full of red and purple juices, "how did you come to be in my Way?"

Sir Cuenca eyed his berries suspiciously and finally took a single violet one, popping it in his mouth as he considered his answer. "To be honest, Warenung, we hadn't meant to come here at all. You see, I only just met the boy a few days ago and being in need of his assistance I recruited him for a journey. Though I've studied maps myself, I'm afraid I became lost in conversation and was in the midst of the tunnel before I realized just what it was. I do hope you will forgive our imposing.." He looked at Warenung hopefully.

Warenung laughed a loud bark and answered back, "Ha! Imposing, you say, old man? Surely you know better than that!"

"What do you mean, sir.. mister.. er.. Warenung?" Michael entered the conversation.

"Ah, kid, you mean he hadn't told you? I knew you were comin' all along." He looked back and forth between the old man and young boy across from him. "Though I'll admit even I didn't see you being quite this unlikely a pair." He shook his head, laughed again, and continued shoveling berries into his mouth, not bothering to wipe any runaway juices from his chin.