Chapter 6: Out of the Way and Into the Sea

As they entered another tunnel of trees, Michael had a thought. "So then, you live in the very center of the labyrinth it seems?"

Warenung shrugged. "Eh, beginning, middle, end.. depends on how long you're here and when you find me. Some are lost for days before they ever stumble across me and others may wander for days even after."

"Those are the ones you've led astray? Given misleading directions, you might say?"

"Like I said, I can read an intruder by the game. I make up my mind and send them on their way."

A wave of conflict washed over Michael. Warenung seemed to be helping them, but it could easily be a trap.

As if reading his mind Warenung added, "Kid, you got nothin' to worry about. The old man's paid up and you're no bother to me. I'll show you to the dock and from there you can either take my advice or not. You'd be smart to keep to what I said, though."

Michael remembered Warenung's warning from the previous night. He decided then that if the odd little man truly showed them the way out, they should heed his instructions after as well. 

Warenung bobbled ahead of the horses a few steps and veered toward the side of the tunnel where the trees were interwoven. Sir Cuenca and Michael pulled their horses to a stop and watched. The round man reached his chubby fingers into a hole in one of the branches and pulled out a fist full of berries. Grinning, he shoved them into his mouth, licking his fingers when the berries were gone. 

"How can the berries grow inside the tree?" Michael asked. But Warenung was already busy with another mouthful of smashed, red berries. 

Not a moment later, Warenung paused and his smacking red lips froze. He appeared to be listening for something. Just then, a slithering sound came from inside the trees. It grew louder and louder as the hole Warenung had poked his big fingers into only moments ago began to quake in anticipation as the predator gained distance towards the thief. 

Warenung hastily wiped his hands on his clothing and  yelled, "That's our cue!" to Sir Cuenca and Michael as he took off running under the canopy of leaves and branches. At each fork in the road he quickly ducked left or right, never stopping to consider which way to turn. Though of course, it only makes sense, as he did live there. 

Sir Cuenca and Michael followed on horseback keeping close behind but far enough away as to not trample the dwarf-like man. At last Warenung came to a stop. His breathing was ragged and sweat dripped from his face and neck. 

"Well I daresay we've solved the mystery as to what you were doing when the vine caught you yesterday," Sir Cuenca chuckled. 

Warenung looked offended. "Hey now, old man, I'll have no trouble reminding you that I live here and I've a right to eat as I please. How else could I keep in my Way?"

When he had caught his breath he motioned for them to begin walking again and his two guests obeyed. Suddenly, from a hole in another tree trunk that looked nearly the right size for a squirrel, a thick, green cord emerged and grasped the hand of the unsuspecting berry thief.

"Warenung!" Michael cried.

"No worries, kid! I do this on the daily!" Warenung called back and fiddled around his waist at his belt where the jagged knife from the day before was wedged into a leather slip.  He pulled and tugged at the knife but having the use of only one hand is dreadfully difficult, as I'm sure you can imagine. 

Before he realized what he was doing Michael was hopping off his horse and rushing to Warenung's side. He swatted at Warenung's jittering hand. The man rolled his eyes as he wrestled with the vine which was coiling tighter and tighter on his other hand and up his wrist. He tried twisting and pulling back but nothing was of use. With Warenung's free hand out of the way, Michael jiggled the knife free from its place on the belt and wielded it at the vine.