Four Days Until the First Bomb

KATYA PETROV'S P.O.V

I watched Mama set up the table for breakfast. I started to think about the men walking by Rafa's window with guns. What were they doing? I was feeling a bit anxious so I told them I had to go and left. I stared at the men as I walked by. Then, I looked back for the last time and saw them holding up their guns to the door. That is when I started to run. I haven't seen Rafa since yesterday.

"Mama, someone had a gun and they were at Rafa's door." I blurted. Mama looked back at me in shock. "Stay here." She ordered, then left to find Papa. I heard them talking from the bedroom. "Rafa and her family could be dead!" Papa cried out, and then Mama interrupted. "They might come for us next!"

I think what they were saying earlier was silly. It was just a man with a gun, he might be there to help them. Or maybe what Rafa was saying about the war was true. But I wouldn't know. She apologized for telling lies.

"Mama, can I go to the park?" I remember asking. "When it's all over sweetie."

"When what's over?"

AGRAFENA SMIRNOV'S P.O.V

I called my Mother. "Mom? You there?" I asked, listening for a response. "The man is arriving to get Katya at eleven thirty on the day the bombs land." My Mother replied, voice full of worry. She stuttered a bit just like I was. "We are almost finished the path to the school for Katya to attend." My Mother said, changing the conversation. I looked over at Katya who was watching TV. "She'll love it," I mumbled. Poor Katya might not even survive to see her Grandmother! It is certainly a dangerous journey. Me and the Guide figured it out through a phone call. 

"So you'll take her to the forest, introduce yourself along the way, explain what is happening, then get onto a boat in the river..." I started memorizing what I remember he said. "Then you'll take her across the river to a more dangerous area where you'll reach warzone and have to sneak through to the countryside. Finally, you're there." I said. I could hear the Guide sigh on the other end. "It's much worse than that, my dear. Katya will face impossible challenges for her to complete in a short amount of time to survive - she'll need training." 

I ended the call and looked at Katya. "Fine. Let's go to the park." I forced a smile and grabbed my coat, mittens, scarf, and boots. After I was ready I bent down to help Katya zip up her jacket. I looked her in the eyes and forced another smile, this time a bit weaker. "Stay quiet the whole time and don't draw attention to yourself. If we have to, we will go. Do I have a promise?" I stared at her. "Yes, Mama." 

KATYA PETROV'S P.O.V

I was so excited! Mama gave me all these rules that I didn't really listen to. I hope they weren't important like if you are good you get chocolate or something. Anyways, as soon as we got there, I ran straight to the slide! I screeched as I slid down and then looked at Mama, with a look of disappointment and worry in her eyes. She picked me up and together we hid under the play structure. "What did I tell you?! I can't trust you." She then put me back up on the slide and put her finger over her lips and whispered shh.

I looked down at the bottom of the slide. Things were so much easier before Winter Break. Then I got up, walked to the swings and motioned for Mama to help me on. That is when we heard gunshots and I blacked out or something because I remember nothing after that. 

I woke up in a field with my Mama next to me, looking kind of dead. Then she opened her eyes and looked at me. "I had to find us a place to hide, don't worry." I could barely see her face because it was midnight. I breathed heavily and watched my breath fog up my glasses. Slowly I started to recognize this field as the soccer field next to the playground and I calmed down a bit. Mama still stared at me and stayed quiet. What was going on? Mama picked me up and stood. "Fall asleep, my Katya," she whispered. Before she even started walking, I did.