Chapter One

"You'll make new friends here Lauren, just go in there with a smile." Clara tells her sixteen year old daughter, they had just moved to Miami, Florida from Los Angeles, California.

Lauren shook her head. "I'm not good at making friends mom." She bit her lower lip anxiously.

Sighing softly, Clara reaches over and pushes a strand of Lauren's hair behind her ear. "I believe in you sweetie, just be yourself."

Lauren shook her head. "They won't like me. I'm too much of a dork, a geek."

"Go, I'll see you at four." Clara says softly, waiting for her daughter to get out of the car.

Lauren sighed heavily, she reached for her backpack and climbed out of the car, pushing her glasses up her nose.

The car drove off and disappeared before Lauren could change her mind.

Lauren took a deep breath and swallowed the lump that was forming in her throat.

Slowly, she began making her way into the school, she hated that they had moved away from her friends. She hated that they'd moved her to a new city where she knew no one and couldn't even see her grandparents when ever she wanted to.

Her train of thought is interrupted as she walks into someone, falling to the ground.

"Oh my, I'm so sorry." The person says, kneeling down to help her.

Lauren groaned and rubbed her shoulder. "Ouch." She squeaked. Her glasses had fallen off her face and landed on the ground beside her.

"Let me help you." The soft voice asks softly.

Lauren looked up. She shook her head and sat up slowly. She wobbled slightly. She felt a little disoriented and dizzy from falling over so suddenly and unexpectedly.

"My name's Normani, you must be new here." The dark skinned girl says softly.

Lauren nodded slowly, she pressed her hand to her forehead and closed her eyes.

"Are you okay? I wasn't watching where I was going." The taller girl says, watching Lauren closely.

The green-eyed girl didn't respond, feeling around the ground for her glasses with her hand that wasn't pressed to her forehead.

"Here," Normani says softly, picking up the glasses and holding them out to her.

The green-eyed girl looked like she was about to cry as she took her glasses into her own shaking hands. She put them on and blinked.

"Are you okay?" Normani asks again, offering Lauren a warm smile.

A tear rolled down Lauren's cheek. She didn't look up at Normani or make a move to stand up. She just sat there on the sidewalk

"Why don't we get you inside and to school nurse." The older girl says softly, offering Lauren her hand.

More tears left Lauren's eyes.

Slowly, Normani helps Lauren up and leads her inside to the nurse. "What's your name?" She asks the green eyed girl softly.

Lauren reached up to rub her eyes, she sniffed. "L-Lauren." She said through a hiccup.

"Must be weird having to move places, but I'm sure you'll make friends. I mean you met me and I'd like to be your friend." Normani says softly.

The green-eyed girl didn't respond. She was shaking slightly and wobbled as she walked. She had her hand resting on her sore shoulder. Tears rolled down her cheeks.