Sunflowers (Ushijima x reader)

Fandom: Haikyuu!!
Reader-insert: Neutral
Pairing: Wakatoshi Ushijima x reader
Genre: Romance | Drabble
Warnings: None
Word Count: 913
Estimated Reading Time: 4 minutes

"Toshi!" You beamed in delightful surprise when you opened the door to your apartment. "What brings you here?"

"These are for you." He stated as he revealed the bouquet of sunflowers he was hiding behind his back.

"Oh! These are lovely. Thank you, Toshi." You took the bouquet from his hands, admiring it with glinting eyes and a big grin on your face.

"Tendou said it would make you happy if I bought your favourite flowers."

"Tendou? How considerate." You opened the door wide enough and motioned him to come inside.

You instructed for him to take a sit on one of the ivory sofas as you went to the kitchen to fetch a flower vase to put the sunflowers in. You took a sit in front of Toshi after he declined your offer when you asked him if he wanted to have some tea.

"What are you doing here? I thought you'd be training for the upcoming match," you inquired, placing the vase on your coffee table.

"I was not able to focus on my game so I decided to visit you." He took a moment, eyes wandering around your living room before speaking again. "You seem to understand me better than anyone else, myself included."

It was not something new that Wakatoshi came to you for advice. You had been friends with him since high school and, over time, you had learnt to read him as if he was an open book. So whenever he felt lost or unmotivated, he would go to the only person he knew that would help him.

Nodding your head in agreement, you asked: "What's wrong?"

"Lately, I've been thinking a lot about you." He confessed, stoically.

"What have you been thinking about?" You asked curiously, tilting your head to the side.

"I'm not sure myself. It's like you always invade my thoughts when I least expect it." He furrowed his brows slightly. Had you not known him for so long, his expression would have intimidated you.

"And how do you feel about that?" You pried in a soft tone.

You could feel your heart gradually racing in your chest as you waited for his answer.

"It's annoying." He stated bluntly, knitting his eyebrows again.

"R-right." You chuckled lightly, covering your mouth with your hand.

Shaking your head, you mentally scolded yourself for expecting another kind of response from the stoic man.

"It doesn't let me focus." He explained further. "Tendou suggested I should come to see you." He spoke a little bit unsure as to why his former teammate had advised him to do so.

Observing his bewildered expression, you replied: "Well, maybe I'm not the only one who understands you."

"Hm?" He urged you to elaborate.

"Well, I think you might have a small crush on me." You offered him a sheepish smile, hoping that would be the case.

"How do you know?"

"Because... I have a crush on you and I... think about you all the time, as well." You confessed, avoiding his dark-olive eyes.

"I see..." He pondered for a while, placing a hand on his chin. "So, is that love?" He queried, inquisitive.

"I-I... I don't know. Do you love me?" You quizzed, blushing furiously as your eyes shone with hope.

"It might be possible." Your heart skipped a beat at his answer. "Kiss me." He requested, taking you by surprise.

"What?"

Watching your shocked expression, he stated: "I might be in love with you but I won't know for sure unless I kiss you."

You were tempted to ask how was that supposed to make him discern his feelings towards you. However, the opportunity to kiss him was way too tempting to let it go. "Okay..."

You stood up and sat close to him on the other couch. Slowly, you leant up, closing your eyes as your heart hammer in your ribcage. Wakatoshi studied your features for a few moments, faintly smiling at the small blush spreading across your cheeks before pressing his lips against yours in a rather fleeting and awkward kiss.

After a few seconds, you pulled away from him and ask: "How do you feel—?"

Wakatoshi interrupted you by crushing his lips against yours again. That time, he kissed you with more intensity, making you hum into the kiss. Through it, you expressed the love, care and affection you had towards him. The feeling of his kissable lips against your delicate ones was greatly welcome. If you could, you would freeze time so that moment would never come to an end.

"I liked it." He replied as he pulled away. "It felt... just right." He nodded his head as he spoke.

"I liked it too." You admit coyly. "Does that mean...?" Your voice trailed off.

"I think I'm developing romantic feelings towards you." He mused with a serious expression as he was probably thinking it will not help him focus on volleyball, which he still found it annoying.

"D-do you wanna go on a date?" You blurted out, catching his attention. "I mean, that's what people do in this kind of situation."

"I see." He contemplated the idea for a brief moment. "I'll gladly go out on a date with you."

"Great!" You exclaimed overly excited as the brightest grin crept across your face.

After discovering that he had feelings for you, the idea of spending a whole afternoon with you sounded pretty appealing to him.

"Where should we go?" He queried, giving you a small slime.