Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Michael sat at the edge of the bed. Teo leaned against the pillows. He sat there and stared at his hands. He was feeling better but was still in shock from what had happened the morning before. All the painful memories that he had suppressed that came flooding back like a tsunami at the mention of a single word.

"Murder."

They still hadn't found his father. He was still out there. Michael closed his eyes. He could hear the twins laughing in the next room. Charlie ran in and clung to his leg as Sammy followed behind her. He picked them both up and sat them on the bed. Sammy sat there looking him in the eyes.

"Why are you so quiet?" Michael asked softly.

Charlie looked at Michael.

"He don't like to talk" she said matter of factly

"I know that silly goose." Michael chimed.

Charlie stared at him intently.

"I'm not a goose" she said defiantly.

Michael's lips turned upward in a silly grin that exposed his somewhat crooked teeth.

"You sure are a goose!!" He said laughing.

He raised his hands up. Charlie watched intently as he wiggled his fingers and went for her.

"Goosey goosey goosey!!" he said tickling her. Charlie laughed.

"I'm not a goose," she said trying not to laugh but failing.

"Goosey goosey goosey!!" Michael said again tickling her.

Finally, Sammy spoke up.

"I'm not a goose too!!"

Michael's face lit up. He hardly ever heard Sammy speak. He loved his voice. It was always so silly and could bring a smile to anyone's face.

"OH!" he said. "The silent goosey speaks?"

"You know what happens to goosies?"

Sammy laughed.

"They get TICKLES!!!" he said tickling both Charlie and Sammy. Both laughing and giggling uncontrollably.

Henry walked in.

"What's going on in here?" he asked with a smile.

Michael smiled back.

"They're goosies, and goosies get tickles." he said laughing.

Henry Chuckled. "Dinner's almost ready." He said calmly.

"Is it goosies!!?" Charlie asked.

"It's chicken..." Henry answered.

Charlie made a silly face at her father.

"Keep that up and it WILL be goosies" Henry said walking down the hall. Charlie and Sammy gasped and looked at each other.

"I'm no goosey," Sammy pouted.

Michael smiled.

"Did I hear someone say goosey?" He said raising his hands an wiggling his fingers again.

Both the children screamed with laughter and ran out of the room. Michael didn't pursue them

The dinner table was set. Henry had pulled up an extra mismatched chair for him. He had made some chicken soup.

"I thought it would help you feel better." he said as Michael blew on it.

"Thanks" Michael said as he ate. Henry looked at him flustered