Part 6

Chimera pressed her forehead to Zeldris' and closed her eyes. She took his hands in hers and slowed her breathing. Soon enough, she could see. The pair had entered the blank space of their linked minds.

"Where are we?" Zeldris asked.

"We're in the blank space between each other's minds."

Chimera summoned her memory orb. Everything. All of her memories, her feelings, her essence, and the memories of everyone who had ever done a memory ceremony with her were contained within it. Zeldris stared at the swirling lilac contents of the orb.

"Try to summon your memory orb, if you can."

"Memory orb?"

"Yes. The orb in my hands holds everything I am, everything I was, and everything I might come to be. It is my essence, my feelings, my memories. Everything."

"So it's like a soul?"

"In a sense. The soul is blank. It contains only the most powerful parts of a person. Those are what carry on when that soul reaches the afterlife. The memory orbs hold every tiny detail, no matter how insignificant the soul might deem it."

Zeldris considered this, focusing. Mera waited with bated breath, hoping Zeldris could summon his memory orb. After a minute that felt like an hour, an orb of swirling dark green and red appeared in Zeldris' hand. Mera smiled.

"Wonderful! Now, your free hand should be cupping my full one. I'll mirror it."

Zeldris cupped Mera's full hand with his free one and she cupped his full hand with her free one.

"Simultaneously, if you still want to do this, I'll give you my memory orb and you'll give me yours."

Zeldris nodded. The exchange was instant and Mera was overtaken by his orb as he was overtaken by hers. All of his memories flashed before her eyes. Gelda, Meliodas, the Demon King, everyone he's interacted with, everything he remembers she could see clearly. The war against the goddess race, his brother's betrayal, and the face of Meliodas, Zeldris' brother, the man who pursued the pair the night they met. She saw the demon realm and got a glimpse of the plants there as Zeldris walked past them. They reminded her of the plants of home.

When the last memory, the memory of Mera asking Zeldris if he wanted to do the memory ceremony, flashed before her eyes, Zeldris was standing in the space between their minds, his eyes still blank. No doubt he would take longer to see all the memories, Chimera's orb had not only her own memories, but those of the people she had done the ceremony with, and the people who had shared their memories with them.

The space had taken on the appearance of a fusion between the Demon Realm and Mars. A beautiful fusion, no doubt. Chimera approached Zeldris as he blinked and regained his senses.

"There," Mera said, "now we truly know each other."