Chapter 19

I try to study when I get back to my room but I can't focus. After staring at my notes for an hour, I decide to go take a shower. The co-ed bathrooms still make me uncomfortable when they are crowded but no one ever messes with me. The hot water feels amazing and loosens up my tense muscles. I should feel relieved and happy that Lauren and I have reached some sort of truce but now the anger and annoyance has been replaced by nervousness and confusion. I have agreed to spend time with Lauren tomorrow, doing something "fun" and I am terrified. I just hope it goes well and we can be friends, I don't expect to become best friends with her but I need us to get to a place where we don't scream at each other every time we talk.

When I get back to my room, I find a note from Lucy saying Tristan is taking her off campus for dinner. I like Noah's roommate Tristan, he seems really nice despite his over use of eyeliner. If Lucy and Tristan continue to see each other then maybe when Shawn comes to visit we could all go do something together. Who am I kidding? I know Shawn would not want to hang out with people like Tristan and Lucy, and I will admit that up until three weeks ago I never would have either.

I end up calling Shawn before bed, we haven't talked all day.

"Hey Camila how was your day?" He asks me as soon as he picks up.

"It was good, long but good" I should tell him that Lauren and I are going to hang out tomorrow.

"That's good to hear. I had a soccer game tonight in Seattle, I am just now getting back"

"That's awesome, how did it go?" He tells me how they beat Seattle High by a landslide, even though they are one of the best teams in the state. We talk about his family and before I know it we are getting off the phone. I couldn't find the right time to mention my plans with Lauren tomorrow, honestly I didn't try.

The next day goes by far too fast. Ally and I walk into Literature and Lauren is already in her seat.

"Are you ready for our date tonight?" Lauren asks and my mouth falls open. Ally's does too. 

"It's not a date, we are only hanging out as friends" I tell Ally, ignoring Lauren. Day one of our quest to become friends is not going well so far. 

"Same thing" Lauren smirks and I roll my eyes. I avoid her the rest of the class which is easy since she doesn't try to talk to me.

"Be careful tonight" Ally tells me after class. 

"I will, we are just trying to be civil since my roommate is her friend"

"I know, you're really a great friend to her. I am just not sure Lauren deserves your kindness" she says and I look up at her. 

"Don't you have something else to do besides bad mouth me? Get lost" Lauren snaps from behind me. Ally frowns and looks at me again.

"Remember what I said" she says and walks away. 

"You don't have to be cruel to her, you guys are practically sisters" I say and her eyes go wide. 

"What did you just say?" She growls. 

"You know, your dad and her mom?" Was Ally lying? Or was I not supposed to mention this? Ally said not to mention Lauren's relationship with her dad but I didn't think she meant the whole thing. 

"That is none of your business, I don't know why that cunt even told you that. I am going to have to shut her up it seems" 

"You leave her alone Lauren, she didn't even want to tell me but I got it out of her" I defend her. The idea of Lauren hurting Ally makes me sick. I need to change the subject. "So where are we going today?" I ask and she glares at me.