Part 8: Lady Mary

I wake sharply from the fragile sleep that had surrounded me and slowly sit up. The bed besides me feels so cold and I wish I had someone in it to keep me safe and sound. I slip out of bed and grab my dressing gown and slowly pull back the curtain, revealing the full moon that is shining brightly in the inky black night sky. My heart pounds at the thought of slipping out into the night and listening to the sounds the night brings with it. I grab my sketch book and pad downstairs, trying to avoid the creaking third from the bottom step and the step at the bottom that always let out a shrill "EEEK" whenever you stand on it. I slip on my shoes and head towards the front door. I stop as I hear what sounds like someone gently banging on it and frown. I listen for any other signs of life but nothing comes, so I shrug my shoulders and carry on down the dark halls, towards the free world outside. All that separated me from the moonlight was a single door, which slowly opened as I turned the handle. I scream as something falls inside and frantically hit on the lights. My eyes widen as I spot a shivering, vomit and blood covered Anna pooled at my feet and without a second thought I dropped to my knees and shake her "ANNA?" I cry "Anna? It's Mary! Wake up! Please wake up!" I whimper. I hear gentle footsteps and spot Mrs Hughes heading towards me "It's Anna Mrs Hughes. I think she's dead" I shout and I watch as the Scotswoman scurries towards me. "Phone Dr Clarkson" she orders and without a second thought I fly towards the newly installed telephone and desperately tell the operator that I need Dr Clarkson now. Dr Clarkson arrives ten minute later, suitcase and bottles in hand, he checks over Anna and informs us that she needs to be taken somewhere better to be examined "Take her to my room" I say without a seconds hesitation "Are you sure Milady?" Mrs Hughes asks "Yes. It's warm, Daisy just lit the fire about an hour ago" I reply as I gently stroke Anna's head. Mrs Hughes nods "Alright. I'll need your help Milady" she states and I grab Anna's under her shoulders as Dr Clarkson grasps her other shoulder and Mrs Hughes grabs her feet. With a lot of shuffling and a fair few breaks, we finally manage to get Anna to my room, where it toasty warm. "Put her in my bed" I whisper and without a question, they follow my orders. Anna lies in my bed as pale as a ghost, covered in sweat and vomit and she looks so tiny, so fragile that it almost breaks my heart. "Will she be alright Dr Clarkson?" I inquire "She has what looks like the Spanish Flu. If she makes it through the next 24 hours, I believe she will make it. I'm not sure whether her child will though" he says as he exits the room... 

I glance at Mrs Hughes, my eyes filled with horror "Did you know?" I ask and she shakes her head "Poor Anna" she whispers, her eyes full with pity. "There's no way it could be Mr Bates's?" I say but deep down I know the answer will be no. "She won't let him touch her Milady, let alone do that  with her" Mrs Hughes replies and I flinch. "Damn it!" I exclaim. The Scotswoman raises her eyebrow at me "Sorry Mrs Hughes" I stutter. "You really care about her Milady" she says softly "Of course I care!" I snap "She's the closest thing I have to a friend in this whole world. She means everything to me. I wouldn't know how to live without her". Mrs Hughes doesn't reply and my heart freezes. I look down at the feverish Anna lying in my bed and break down "she has to... she can't... " I sob as Mrs Hughes wraps her arms around me and pulls me close. "Shh now Milady. Anna is strong she will make it through" she whispers softly. "I need her Mrs Hughes" I whimper "I need my Anna". Anna make us jump as she suddenly lets out a sharp whimper and takes a struggling breath. I pull away from Mrs Hughes and grasp Anna's hand, I squeeze it gently "Anna? You're alright Anna. You're alright my love. Please don't leave me, I need you Anna. I need you to be strong and fight. I need to see your blue eyes again. I need you to be alright" I whisper. Mrs Hughes places her hand on my shoulder and I bow my head "I'm sorry Mrs Hughes" I mutter "Whatever for Milady? You have nothing to be ashamed of. My sister was like you and found love and comfort. Love is love I don't care what people say, you love who you love and so long as you're happy, nothing else matters". "Thank you Mrs Hughes" I sniff and she sits down besides me "She'll wake up Milady, she's a fighter our Anna", I glance towards her and flash her a sad smile "I hope you're right Mrs Hughes. I really hope you're right"...