Chapter 3

When all awoke the next morning they found Gandalf wearing a gray cloak over his white robes. None were sure as to where it came from or the reasoning behind it, but all knew not to question the Wizard. Because their wonder would be met with more riddles. Well rested for the first time in days they rode out less than an hour later with the rising sun. It was a hard journey through the hills and plains. Pushing the horses to the limit till they saw the high wooden walls that circled Edoras. From inside their village one could easily see a hill rise up in the center with the royal household perched at the top.

"Edoras and the Golden Hall of Meduseld," Gandalf said. "There dwells Théoden, King of Rohan whose mind is overthrown. Saruman's hold over King Théoden is now very strong. Be careful what you say. Do not look for welcome here."

They all nodded in understanding and traveled the rest of the way towards the gates at a slower pace.

There was no one to stop their entrance, the gates already open upon arriving. However, the guards standing atop the wrap around guard posts stared them down. The sight inside Edoras wasn't much better. Every villager wore black, as if in a state of mourning, and none were smiling. Not even the children seemed to be having fun in the slightest. All eyes were on the company when they passed towards Théoden's home.

"You'll find more cheer in a graveyard," Gimli muttered.

Linnéa couldn't agree more. This whole village made her on edge with the cold, unfriendly welcome. Not that any of these villagers could fight them off. None of them were warriors, and even their guards, when dismounting and walking up the steps, seemed a bit disheartened. As they moved closer to the door, the Wizard took Legolas's arm, causing the Elf to glance over at him and receive a look to go with it. Linnéa watched, as Gandalf seemed to slow a bit to show he had trouble walking using his staff a bit more for support. The princess wasn't sure what the older man was getting at, but knew not to question it coming to the closed doors where they were met with guards.

"I cannot allow you before Théoden King so armed, Gandalf Greyhame," the head guard stated. "By order of Gríma Wormtongue."

The name on his tongue sounded bitter, even his facial expression looking slightly disgusted. Gandalf nodded to his company to do as they asked. Much to their dislike the four began to hand over their weapons. Aragorn's long sword, Legolas's bow and arrows, along with Gimli and Linnéa's axes. There were other various weapons as well, daggers, short swords, and smaller throwing axes. But when the men of their company were finished handing over what belonged to them from their weapon belts and some hidden areas, Linnéa continued to hand over more.

It caused Gimli to chuckle. All those times that he teased her when a child that she was sometimes the spitting image of her kin, Fíli. Who had a habit of hiding so many various weapons throughout his person one would be surprised how effectively hidden they all were. Legolas could only blink when two more daggers were pulled from hidden compartments in the back of her boots. Gandalf was amused, trying to hide a snicker that threatened to escape. And when the princess finally finished, the last dagger coming from an arm guard, she nodded to the men that that was the last of them. The guards shared a look between one another with slightly wide eyes at the pile she created. Aragorn cocked a brow in her direction and she looked at him innocently.

"What?" she mouthed.

Gimli was nearly doubling over with laughter at her side. Trying to cover it up with a few coughs. Then the guards looked to the Wizard.

"Your staff," the head guard stated.

The older man's face became troubled, holding it a bit tighter and leaning on it. "Hmm?" Gandalf mused. "Oh... You wouldn't part an old man from his walking stick."