Chapter 11

The air grew tense and quiet throughout Helm's Deep as darkness set in. One could barely see the moon overhead as the clouds gathered making it even difficult to see among the lit torches throughout the streets and walkways. Linnéa stood on the front wall alongside Gimli to stare out over the dark valley before them. No one dared to speak. Some of the Elves were stationed around the two, others on the ground behind them for an archery attack that the enemy wouldn't see coming. And what was left were scattered throughout the stronghold amongst Rohan's soldiers.

It wasn't long after the sun set that they began seeing lit torches in the distance. They grew in number as the minutes ticked by and the low drum of their march began to reach their ears. The sheer amount of them made the ground tremble alongside the shouts and snarls from the Uruk-hai. The Men shifted nervously at the sight.

From the corner of her eye, Gimli struggled to look over the rock ledge. One hand rested on the surface as he tried to jump to see. He wasn't very successful and even on his tiptoes didn't do much.

"You could've picked a better spot," Gimli grumbled.

The comment caused Legolas, who stood on the other side of him, to smirk slightly. It was very amusing and the princess wondered if their placement had been deliberate, since they followed the Elf without question. There were in fact some parts of the wall where the rock was carved out so one could see through the stones. The three of them were not near one unfortunately. There were footsteps behind them. Aragorn joined them briefly as the man stared at the approaching army. They had not been exaggerating about the numbers upon their return and that made the villagers tremble at the sight.

"Well, lad," Gimli sighed, "whatever luck you live by, let's hope it lasts the night."

Thunder cracked overhead followed by a streak of lightning when suddenly the sky above them opened up. And it wasn't just a light rain either. It poured down and soaked through their hair and outer layers in seconds.

"Of course," Linnéa sighed heavily. Just what they needed.

Gimli luckily wore a helmet, but that was one piece of armor that the young woman had never been fond of. It cut off her peripheral vision if it shifted out of place mid-battle and also dampened her hearing. Thankfully she twisted all of her hair into a braid down the back so the strands wouldn't obscure her vision as they were soaked through.

"Your friends are with you, Aragorn," Legolas stated. But even he seemed worried as raindrops dripped down the sides of his face.

"Let's hope they last the night..." Gimli trailed off.

The thunder overhead momentarily blocked out the sound of the approaching footsteps. Finally, the army paused a few feet from the main wall. Their growls and snarls were all the more clear as they bore their horrid teeth in their direction.

"Show them no mercy! For you shall receive none!" Aragorn shouted to the Elvish army over the noise.

Gimli started jumping once more in a desperate attempt to get a view of what they were up against with no success.

"What's happening out there?" he asked.

"Shall I describe it to you?" Legolas questioned. He glanced down at the Dwarf beside him as he stared back up in return. "Or would you like me to find you a box?"

There was a brief pause before the warrior began laughing at the remark with a cheeky grin, the Elf offering another smirk in return. It even had Linnéa's shoulders shaking as she attempted to contain her snickering. Legolas looked her way noticing the movement. She shot him an amused look and his smirk grew wider.