Promises are Forever

"Who's Ben?" Grayson asked me. What had I done. I just accepted another invite to homecoming! I didn't know if I should be honest with him or not. I was right. I got closer to Grayson. "My cousin." I said, "He came to visit, and I need to get home to him." "Ok umm I'll get you home right away!" He picked up my shoes for me in one hand and took my hand in his other. When we got to his car he opened the door for me and helped me in.

When we pulled up at my house I leaned over and kissed him goodbye. I jumped out and ran inside. It all happened super fast. The next thing I knew I was in my pajamas laying on the couch watching a movie with my sister. I told Bethany the whole story about my afternoon. She was, as she likes to say "team Grayson." I would feel so bad if I did that to Ben. I promised Ben first. I didn't want to make Ben believe that I'm into him and then just leave him. After a long night of discussing it with my sister I decided.. it had to be Grayson.

The next morning I woke up to find another dress waiting for me. Today it was a white floral off the shoulder dress. It only fell to about right above my knees. Wearing all these pretty dresses was making me change my mind about my homecoming dress. Bethany told me she would go with me after school assuming everything would go fine with Ben.

When I got to school I was recognized by people I'd never talked to. Was it because of Grayson? I just had to find Ben. When I turned the corner I saw him in the same place as yesterday. "Rosie!" He said turning around, "where were you yesterday afternoon?" "I left." I told him, "I actually have to ask you something, Ben." He stared at me waiting for an answer. "I'm sorry Ben, but there's someone else." He looked upset. He just walked away. "Ben," I said attempting to call him back. He didn't turn around. I had a horrible feeling in my stomach. Grayson made it better. He came up from behind me and hugged me. "You you look beautiful." I turned around so I was facing him. "Thanks Hercules," I said. He laughed. I kissed him. When I pulled back I smiled and leaned my forehead against his. I was happy. I planned to forget about Ben. He didn't make me as happy as Grayson does. I hardly knew him. "Bye," I said as the bell rang. He kissed me again and then walked away smiling.

"So stereotypical," Bethany said rolling her eyes. "What?" I asked her with a laugh. "The cheerleader has a boyfriend that plays football," she said. "First of all, I'm not a cheerleader anymore, remember? And second, Grayson's different." "Mmhmm." She said still not trusting me. We jumped out of the car and walked into the dress shop. I was immediately drawn to a two piece halter top dress with a purple floral skirt. I tried it on and immediately knew it was perfect. But I kept looking. I don't want to make the same mistake I made last time. I tried on a lace white one followed by a plain layered red one. I fell in love again. The red one was so beautiful, but I still loved the first one. Bethany didn't want to make the wrong decision so she wasn't helpful at all. I made her take pictures so I could send them to Grayson. Instead of texting me back, he called me. Before even saying hello he said..
You'll look beautiful in anything you wear, Blondie.
I could picture his smile. I wished he was there helping me choose. I laughed and hung up. I put the purple one back on. I brushed my hands across the dress. I stared at myself in the mirror. I smiled. I could see my dad in me. A single tear rolled down my face. I closed my eyes and looked down. When I opened them again I felt someone's arms wrapped around my chest. As tears streamed down my cheeks I smiled. "You look beautiful," he said. I wrapped my hands around his wrists and looked up in the mirror again. The makeup on my face was smearing when I wiped my hands across my face. "Let's get you home." I went back into the dressing room and put on the dress I was previously wearing. We paid for the floral purple dress and left.

When I got home I went up to my room to change. "This is me," I mouthed to myself in the mirror. "I was made exactly this way.. for a reason. Everything that has happened, happened for a reason. It lead me to Grayson." My life would be different if I didn't meet him. I flopped onto my bed and eventually fell asleep.

Today was homecoming! The big game was tonight, but I didn't really want to go. I'd have to see the cheerleaders and I wasn't ready to see what I was missing. I was only going because Grayson wanted me to go watch him. The school day flew by and all of a sudden I was at the game cheering on the only man in my life I cared about. We won! All the girls on court were in their dresses walked by with their dates. I smiled hoping to do that one day. I was surprised when Grayson came up behind me taking my hand leading me a school building. We used an emergency exit to get up onto the roof of the building. Up there was a outside garden. I had never seen this place but obviously Grayson had. We walked over to where we could still see the field. Music started playing as fireworks went off. Grayson turned toward me taking my hand. "May I have this dance?" He asked me. I took his hand. We danced all around together. He spun me and lifted me into the air. As the song neared it's end. He brought me into a hug, so we were just swaying. He made me warm. I started shivering. He took off his letterman jacket and wrapped it around me. "Thanks," I said Smiling. We heard thunder. We both looked up at the sky as it started to rain. We laughed for a minute, but then we met in a powerful kiss. I looked at him. "Promise me this is forever," I yelled over the rain. "I promise." He said, kissing me again.

The next morning I skipped around the house in excitement. I couldn't wait for that night. I would dance around in circles with the boy who loves me. Everyone would watch as he lifted me into the air and kissed me. I looked at my dress again. "It's perfect!" I said almost screaming. Grayson would be there in just a few hours. Bethany started working on my hair. I couldn't stop smiling. Just thinking about that night made the day feel magical.

Hours passed. We heard knocking at the door. "I'll get it!!" Bethany said running down the stairs. I stood at the top of the staircase. Before stepping inside Grayson glanced up at me. Hardly getting a good look at me he looked back up. He looked so surprised. I smiled brightly. I walked down each step being careful not to fall. When I reached the bottom I took Grayson's hand. He walked me down the last few stairs and after a few pictures we walked out to a limo. Inside there were members of the football team with their dates. They all clapped for me as I got in. I was a little confused. Grayson always said football players dated cheerleader, but none of these girls were cheerleaders. "We changed the rule, Rosie." One of them said. I smiled and looked at Grayson. "That's wonderful," I said taking his hands.