Emotions

Narcissa wasn't entirely sure what business Lucius had to settle with Dumbledore, but she knew how much her husband detested the man. She'd decided to accompany him to Hogwarts to lessen the hassle in any way she could. They were currently being led down the corridor toward the Headmaster's office by the Deputy Headmistress.

"He's got a long list of people to see today," said McGonagall as they walked, "so it might be a few moments."

Narcissa saw Lucius nod stiffly at the edge of her vision.

When the group reached the spiral staircase leading to the office, McGonagall stopped.

"I'll be back to retrieve you shortly," she said. She made her way up the steps, and Narcissa turned to Lucius.

"Coming back here would certainly be more fun without Dumbledore," she told her husband quietly.

Lucius turned to her with a smile. "Anywhere is enjoyable as long as I'm with you. Thank you for accompanying me," he said to her lovingly. He leaned close to her ear. "I promise, when we get home, I'll repay you for your generosity," he whispered. He went on to explain in full just how he planned to repay her, and excitement fluttered through her body at the images he painted. He kissed her temple, and she brushed her lips over his jaw.

"No repayment is necessary, my love," she said. "I enjoy accompanying you, no matter where that leads." She meant every word; even though she didn't enjoy dealing with Dumbledore-or Fudge, for that matter-she didn't want to make Lucius face them alone, and she was glad for his company no matter where they were.

"Thank you, my love," he said. "I enjoy your company. It makes these little treks all the more enjoyable."

She leaned up to his ear. "Though I can't deny, all that about later sounds delightful." She smiled and laughed quietly.

He smirked and slid his arm around her waist. "I'm glad you do, because I can't wait to do it to you," he said close to her ear. "I love you."

Narcissa smiled, her stomach fluttering at Lucius's words, and she skimmed her fingertips down his chest. "Please do. I love you very much."

He kissed her temple, and then returned his posture to its outward stiffness and his expressions to his public front of indifference to the world. She rolled her shoulders back, clinging to his hand. She knew they needed to present a certain image while in public, and she'd almost gotten used to watching the shift in her husband's demeanor. She squeezed his hand and forced her smile away.

Minutes passed, and Lucius's grip on Narcissa's hand tightened gradually. At last, McGonagall emerged from the Headmaster's office, escorting a man Narcissa didn't recognize.

"He's ready to see you, Lucius," said McGonagall. She returned to the staircase without another word.

Narcissa squeezed Lucius's hand once more, hoping to reassure him. "It will go well," she told him very softly.

"I'll be right back, my love."

He leaned in to quickly peck her lips, and she saw his love clearly in his eyes. She nodded, hoping Dumbledore didn't cause him trouble. He squeezed her hand before releasing it, turning on his heels and made his way up the revolving staircase to the Headmaster's office.

"What're you and Lucius doing here? It's not that often that you grace us with your presence."

At the sound of the voice of a girl a few paces down the corridor, Narcissa turned toward her, and it took all of her effort to hold back her blush. She wondered how much the girl had seen. There was something about her question, though, that was unsettling. Narcissa stood up a bit straighter and racked her brain, trying hard to remember why she knew this girl's face and her bushy brown hair.