Say 'Will You Marry Me' Part 3

Elide's PoV

The past weeks had been sweet and sour, after Elide had kissed Lorcan, they'd just fallen into a pattern, they never made it official, but they kissed and Elide had finally let herself fully relax around him. It had been so nice and she had laughed and kissed and smiled more than she ever had in her whole life. But of course everything hadn't been perfect. Lorcan had been coughing more and more and he had began to sleep for longer periods of time and when he woke up he was tired and weak.

She was sat at his bed now watching his chest fall up and down in unsteady breaths, she knew it was coming, but now it felt so much more real. His eyes suddenly fluttered open and he gave her one of those tired, but happy smiles and beckoned her over with a finger.

She walked over to him and crouched beside the bed, but the male shook his head and he scooted over on the hospital bed, uncovering his body. "Lay with me for a while," he murmured. Elide's heart jumped and she nodded as she gingerly climbed onto the bed and lay down next to Lorcan's frail body. She wrapped her in his arms tightly and kissed her nose and brow gently. She smiled and moved closer to him as he covered them both up. She was about to kiss him when his body convulsed as he coughed.

And she remembered. Her face dimmed and the sickly man noticed. He tilted her chin up and kissed her before pulling away, "what's wrong?" He asked.

"You're dying," she croaked out and stuffed her face in the contour of his chest to keep from crying, "and I'm going to lose you."

"Elide," Lorcan's gentle voice soothed her only a little as he stroked her hair, "I'm sorry."

"No, no, this is my fault. I should have healed you. I should know what-"

"Don't do that, don't blame yourself. I'm sorry because I'm going to hurt you. I'm sorry Elide, I love you." She only nodded and pressed herself closer against him.

...

Lorcan crossed his arms and shook his head. "No," he said simply, "I'm not ready yet." Elide sighed and sat down on the side of the bed, brushing her fingers down his face and cupping his cheek.

"Come on Lorcan, he deserves a chance to see you before you pass." She insisted.

"And he will, but not yet. Also, you can say die, I don't care." He shrugged and Elide's expression dropped as she massaged his shoulders softly.

"We both know that if this doesn't happen now it never will."

"Whatever."

"Lorcan."

"I said whatever."

"You're an ass sometimes," she shook her head and then kissed him, not caring that her smile shone through. She breathed as she pulled away, "What if I take you up to the roof?"

"What?" But there was a form of excitement in his voice as he said that and she smiled again.

"If you let Fenrys come I'll take you up to the hospital roof. I promise." She had never been up there before and she had heard the view was incredible. She didn't normally break the rules, but she was with Lorcan now. There was silence as the male finally grunted and smiled at her.

"Fine," he snorted, "but we have to do it now."

"Why now?" She asked.

"Because it's dawn and I'm tired, now common, get me a wheelchair." He started to pull away the blankets, but Elide halted him with a flick of her wrist.

"You promise you'll let him see you?"

"Yes, now-"

"Promise."