Chapter 1: Amber With the Eyes of Jade

So this is actually a story concerning my leaving home when I'd turned 18 years of age in a bit of a hurry.

After the fiasco at Wizzard Academy, I went back home. I wasn't planning on travelling, yet, but I knew that was a possibility, especially since I decided to switch to learn Shamanry. For days, I stayed in my mother's study, going through her books, trying to find any kind of information about any Shamans living nearby.

My father didn't ask me why I left the Academy. He hasn't asked me anything for a long time. He acknowledged my presence back in the castle but he probably knew I was useless and so he wasn't really surprised to see I failed to complete my Wizzard studies as well. I thought that was all to his reaction so I was kind of surprised to hear I am going to be engaged to Amber Naarn, the daughter of the neighbouring aristocrat.

It was a Wendesday evening and I was having dinner with father, he usuallly didn't say anything or he simply talked about his day as one of the court advisors. I never understood politics.

"Do you remember the daughter of Philip Naarn? She spent some time here as a young girl," my father said over a plate of a roasted pheasant.

"I do," I mumbled. I remembered her very well. Amber, the little devil, 4 years older than me. Her parents once brought her, probably to introduce her to my brother as a possible bride. She was a mean girl, always picking on me and pulling my white hair, whenever she got the chance, laughing at me because white hair is what old people have and that my purple eyes are strange and I don't resemble my brother at all.

"Her father and I think, she would be a good wife for you, you're at that age, afterall." I could hear this was the tone that didn't let anyone open up a disscussion.

"Nobody asks me, I see," I stabbed my portion angrily, got up and headed straight for my bed.

I should have seen this comming. Dad thinks I'm useless, and so he's trying to "make me an adult" by having me marry a girl, whose personality probably sucks big time. She hates me! Why would she marry me?!

I sighed and closed my eyes... She's not going to end up happy with someone who's only interested in men...

................................................

Meeting Amber was inevitable, so I thought of turning up and trying to look as most unmarriable as I could, so that she herself would be repulsed by the idea just as much as I was.

But Amber had exceeded all of my expectations.

The meeting was being held in a small inner garden of Amber's family's castle and the two of us were left alone after the buttler finished escorting me.

I cannot deny Amber her charms. She was dressed in pink velvet high waist dress with a silk ribon sitting right under her round and nicely shaped chest, long V-shaped sleeves with ends almost touching the stone floor, curly auburn hair and lips lightly curved up in a cutesy smile, big green-blue eyes piercing my own lack of fanciness and a tiny nose pointing slightly up because her chin stayed always high up, so she could look down on other people.

"I bid you a very warm and nice afternoon, Amber, daughter of Philip Naarn, Lord of the Naarn household and holdings of Aberly and Stonewood." I bowed.

She looked at me in a sickly sweet manner, from behind a thick fringe, nicely smoothed down and probably artificially puffed up. "To you as well, sir Dayereth Palendryl, son of Lord Nicolas Palendryl the Brave, holder of the Palendryl Hold, Pale Forest, and Higher March and Lady Amarrila the Fair Sorceress, beautiful daughter of the free Fey Wild." She sat down on a stone chair, sculpted in the Neo-Elven style, with the so typical cat paws at the end of the handles, and she nodded, I do the same.