Chapter Thirty-Six: Home

"Are you coming back to bed?"

Shoto's words jerked you from your thoughts.

You looked up to see him standing in the kitchen doorway, his red and white hair a mess. He yawned, blinking a few times before walking towards you.

"Sorry, I couldn't sleep." You reached for your mug of tea, surprised to find it was cold. You glanced at the clock above the sink, realizing that you'd be there for over an hour.

"I figured," Shoto let out a small laugh.

"I'm sorry if I woke you up," you turned to dump out your cold tea in the sink.

"It's fine." Shoto grabbed the electric kettle and plugged it back in. "You probably have a lot on your mind. That's why I stayed in bed until now."

"You've been awake this whole time?" You asked incredulously, watching as he grabbed a mug for himself.

He nodded. "I woke up when you did, but I figured you needed some time to yourself. Was I right?"

"Uh, yeah..." you sighed.

"I know it must be hard-"

"Do you?" You pushed away from the counter, going to sit down at the table. "Do you really know, Shoto?"

He remained silent, staring at you blankly. How could he know what you were going through, honestly?

You sighed again. "Shoto, what would have happened if we'd never met?"

His brows furrowed. "What do you mean?"

You looked down at the table, aimlessly drawing circles on the wooden surface with your finger as you voiced your thoughts.

"What if... what if your father had said no, the day my aunt and I first came to visit?"

"Why would he have said no?"

"I don't know, Shoto, just... humour me."

"Okay," Shoto moved to take the seat across from you. "So what if he'd said no? It's not like it's matters. It doesn't change anything now."

"You're not getting it," you huffed, frustrated. "What if he'd said no? Where would we be today? What if the first time you'd met me was that day on the field, during orientation?"

Shoto frowned, thinking. What is she talking about all of a sudden?

"Hell, even that's too generous," you shook your head. "Without your father's recommendation, there's no way I would have made it into UA."

"That's not true," Shoto reached his hand across the table to take yours. "You're a strong fighter, (y/n). You definitely would have been accepted."

"No," you pulled your hand from his. "I only became a strong fighter because of my training. If your father had said no, my aunt wouldn't have bothered with such things."

It was true. At the time, Endeavour was the only one looking for a child to pair off with his son. Someone with a powerful quirk, good for fighting. If he'd said no, you wouldn't have been offered the path to become a hero. No, your aunt would have thrown you into even more of those classes she saw fit for 'a lady'. She would have waited until you were older, probably about high school age, then started marketing you off to wealthy men as an obedient young bride.

How would your childhood have been, if you hadn't met Shoto?

"(Y/n)," Shoto caught your attention, his features softening. "It's not something you should be worrying about."

He really didn't understand. If you two hadn't met, if you're life had been laid out differently, what would have happened? Your aunt still would have made sure you went to UA. Even outside of their hero program, the school was revered as the best in the country.