Setting

Walking down a littered sidewalk in Brooklyn, New York, alone. It was close to eight at night, but the sun still dimly lit up the streets. Clouds covered the evening sky. The gloomy moon hid behind the clouds, right on the edge of the horizon. The sidewalk was a sandy tan, decorated with ugly chewed gum and dirty footprints. Along the crevices of the pavement, there were cigarettes, trash, and mystery litter scattered beside the roadside. Every now and then, cars whipped past her, sending the ends of her jacket flying forwards and backwards as if they were trying to escape her body. The buildings lined up one by one on either side of her, making her feel cluttered, yet safe and held in tight. Every silver metal building looked either the same or similar, but on the inside, they were all different. She continued her short “journey” down the beautifully ugly, and the dull streets of the city. She came upon upon a store that stood out from the rest of the buildings. It was colored a shiny white, porcelain color, which matched her shoes - almost. She noticed the building was about half the size of the rest, and it seemed unique, especially for a place like this on the streets in Brooklyn. She walked in, andbeneath her feet, she felt the crunching of the hay-like “Welcome” mat right outside the entrance door, which swung open hard with just a slight push. The lavender purple walls complemented the white ceiling and white tiled floor. A big sign was plastered over the far back wall that read “ Kandy’s Candy”. Rows and rows of shelves made the shop seem almost symmetrical, and almost perfectly organized. The sweet smell of sugar and chocolate drifted through the air like tidal waves of sweetness. A small circular table sat peacefully in the corner of the room. A little pink bowl sat there with a notecard resting beside it. The bowl was filled with what seemed to be chocolate-covered pretzels with M&Ms stuck to each individual one. The card read “Samples: pick 5”, and so she did. On the shelves of candy neatly organized along the back wall underneath the store sign rested jars and bags of different kinds of candy, including the item being sampled up front. Leaving the store half an hour later with a handful of cute little plastic bags with “Kandy’s Candy” written in cursive on the front. Looking up in the sky, it was as if four hours had passed. The sky was a navy bluish-black with small white stars glittering the sky like a kindergarten arts and crafts project. The city lights on the buildings glowed up the city to a gold color that could bring tears to anyone’s eyes. Fewer cars were passing, but their lights stood out when they drove past, sending a chilly breeze everywhere around it. The air smelled like a humid, rainy day, and the air seemed hotter and more congested than before. The small scattered clouds above were turning grayer as the time went by, and within five minutes, thunder rumbled. BOOM! It was so strong, you could almost feel it. Heavy, thick raindrops started to drizzle out of the clouds, making a “pitter-patter” noise on the streets. The teardrops of the sky and pounding of the thunder began to increase, sending fear to her heart. Stepping over the big puddles full of pain as the rain smacked down on it like a slap in the face. The abandoned potholes in the middle of the street began to fill up quickly with water, as the rain dripped into it like a big pavement bowl. BOOM! Thunderous clashes gave an intimidating sensation to the bright city lights of Brooklyn, like they were fighting for opposing sides. As the night grew deeper, the splashing of the rain and puddles slowed, but the life of the city never faded. It was as if the good side won against a big storm, and the sky became a darker, fuller black color as midnight crept by.