Part 6

Getting to the other side, we started to run. But getting to the guardroom, we were taking by surprise. There was no way out... just so many dead on the floor covered in cobwebs. It was sure a horrific sight.  

"There's no way out," Dwalin said so glumly. 

"The last of our kin," Balin announced with a sad tone. "They must have come here... hoping... beyond hope."  

I looked up at Thorin, who looked like he was going to cry, but it was me who gave in. Turning to Thorin, he pulled me before a tear could leave my eye. 

"We could try to reach the mines. We might last a few days,"  Balin suggested.

Thorin combed my hair before setting me aside. "No. I will not die like this. I will not have my future wife die like this. Cowering. Clawing for breath. We make for the forges."

"Thorin, he will see us, we'll die," I said with a broken voice, wiping the tears away. 

"Now if we split up." 

Balin didn't like the idea. "Thorin... we'll never make it." 

"Some of us might. Lead him to the forges. We kill the dragon. If this is to end in fire... then we will all burn together," Thorin rumbled with such power in his voice.

I would have followed him through anything. And I did. We all did. 

Bilbo and Balin followed Thorin out of the guardroom and onto a bridge, where Smaug appeared. 

"Flee. Flee. Run for your lives. There is nowhere to hide," Smaug boomed. 

Ori, Dori, and Bombur screamed at Smaug to draw him away, so the other could run. Dwalin, Nori and I distracted Smaug then Gloin and Bifur. The whole plan was a team effort kind of thing. Smaug was so confused about what way to go and who to go after. Dwalin, Nori and I made it to the circle where mining took place. Then there was Smaug, who went down after Thorin, who jumped over. I screamed and ran, trying to after Thorin, but Dwalin with his overly strong arms grabbed a hold of me. 

"Let go! We have to help him!" Screamed. 

Dwalin released me, took his ax and hit the crane that was dropping Thorin farther down. Thorin came rushing up, but Smaug bit the rope hanging from the seat Thorin was holding. The crane broke which caused Thorin to fall onto Smaug's mouth. Thorin jumped to another seat just as Smaug was about to breath fire. But since they were so far down, the crane that broke fell and hit Smaug in the head, causing him to fall down. I took Dwalins ax and hit the crane that attached to the seat Thorin was holding. My love came flying up just in time. Thorin grabbed my hand a pulled me to the forges where everyone else was. 

"The plan's not gonna work. These furnaces are stone cold," Dwalin told Thorin. 

"He's right. With no fire hot enough to set them ablaze," Balin said, walking over to us. 

I looked up at Thorin who seemed to have the same idea as I did. The two of us ran over to the gateway. 

"I did not look to see you so easily outwitted," I said to Smaug, smirking at Thorin. 

Smaug had climbed his way out of the mining pit. 

"You have grown slow and fat... in your dotage... Slug!" Thorin shot at him before turning around and telling everyone to take cover. 

Smaug growled as he looked at Thorin. His throat started to glow with fire before blowing us with his weapon. Thorin grabbed me and held me tight behind one of the pillars to the gate, protecting me from the melting flames. 

And with the help of Smaug, he lite the furnaces. Thorin barked out orders to people as Smaug was trying to break down the gate. 

"What do you want me to do?" I asked Thorin. 

"Go with Balin, it's safer there," he said sweetly, grabbing my hand. "I want you to be safe." 

"Oh, Thorin!" I cried, as Ori grabbed my arm and started pulling me away. 

Balin, Nori, Ori, Dori, and I went to a side room to make flash bombs. I heard roaring and crashing which made me scared for my love. We quickly put together a handful of bombs. The few of us ran out and started throwing them at Smaug, who was dead set on getting Thorin. A lot of fighting went on, but I just followed the crowd. We were in the kings-room. Thorin stood on top of a great stone mold in the room, where Smaug had followed Bilbo in. Smaug was just about to leave when Thorin started to yell. 

"Here! You witless worm!" His voice echoed in the vast hall, getting Smaugs attention, who growled. 

"You..." Smaug hissed. 

Thorin stood tall. "I am taking back what you stole."

Smaug slithered closer to Thorin. "You will take nothing from me... Dwarf! I laid low you warriors of old. I instilled terror in the hearts of Men. I am King Under the Mountain!"

Even as Smaug was closer than ever, Thorin did not lose his nerve. "This is not your kingdom. These are Dwarf lands. This is Dwarf gold. And we will have our revenge." Thorin shouted for the others to pull the chains from the stone mold. 

The giant rocks fell, revealing a golden mold of Thorin's grandfather. But since the gold was freshly melted, it wasn't going to keep it's shape forever. Smaug sat there, gazing, falling in love with the gold statue that almost as big as him. The gold blasted and covered Smaug, making him fall. For a second we all thought he was dead, but the next second he jumped up, screaming and groaning in pain. 

"Revenge?!" He screamed over and over. "I will show you revenge!"  Smaug busted out the front gates to the mountain and flew off toward Laketown.

~~~~

"So the dragon had escaped the melting hot gold and flew to destroy Laketown?" Thrin questioned. 

I gave him a nod. 

"And because he was covered in gold when he flew away, that's why when you're outside playing you can find gold laying around," Thorin smartly said. 

Thrin's eyes grew huge. "That's so cool!! I have dragon gold in my room."

"That's horrible, Thrin. That dragon killed the lives of many!" Norra shouted, hitting her brother. 

"Hey, now, Norra, we don't hit," I scolded. Thraga climbed onto my lap and started to whine. I picked her up in my arms. "It's time for bed, your father and I will continue the story tomorrow." 

Thrin and Norra groaned. 

"Children, listen to your mother," Thorin scolded at them. 

The two of them groaned the whole way to there rooms. I told them goodnight and put Thraga in her bed. Then I went to my room with Thorin, who hide behind the door and scared me. 

"Thorin! What the Hell!" I yelled at him, punching his arm. 

Thorin laughed as he held where I punched him. "Oh, Love," he sweetly purred, pulling me in and kissing me. "You know, I somewhat miss all the excitement we went through." 

I giggled as he ran his fingers through my hair. "Is that right?" Thorin nodded his head, kissing my neck up and down. "We'll make our own excitement, handsome." 

Thorin then picked me up and took me to the bed. I giggled as he kissed me all over, taking my clothes off at the same time. 

~~~~