1.05 | A Really, Really Big Moth

A REALLY, REALLY BIG MOTH

THEY HAD TO FIND THE MUGGLE, there was no doubt about that. The cases had clearly gotten mixed up in transit. The trio made their way through the streets of New York with Arethusa leading front. She may not have been the best with the creatures but she sure as hell knew how to track them. With a wave of her wand the golden pathway lit right up for her that lead the group further in towards the city. She made her best attempt to ignore the other two and concentrate on the path, but it was getting harder and harder as Porpetina began to complain: "I cant believe you didn't obliviate that man! If theres an inquiry, I'm finished!"

"Sorry why would you be finished? I'm the one that's—"

"Im not supposed to go near the Second Salemers!" It was a clever nickname for the group that had easily managed to both freak other and fascinate Arethusa: The New Salem Philanthropic Society. She remembered those banners clear as day and there was no doubt in her mind that's who Porpetina was referring to. The question was why?

All conversation was halted by the intense buzzing noise above them. It lasted for about three seconds prompting all of them to turn their attention to the sky, watching as a common billywig disappeared from out of sight. "What was that?"

"Er... moth, I think. Big moth," Newt lied, shifting his weight out from under his foot. They had taken a quick second to pause after Arethusa had, but the appearance of the billywig made Newt nervous. They frequently came in and out of his case, but they weren't city-dwelling bugs. "How's it going, Thusa?"

"See for your self, Newt," Arethusa hummed as the group turned the corner. Sure enough the trail had lead them straight into the commotion. People were screaming and shouting, all of their anger and pain focused towards a building that seemed to be torn to pieces.

"Hey, quiet down. Im trying to get a statement!" A man, most likely a police officer, shouted through the commotion as they began to make their way through the crowd. While it seemed to get quieter there were still plenty of people shouting different statements at him.

"Im telling you its a gas explosion again," One woman explained, protectively covering up said children as they passed. "I aint taking the kids back up there until its safe."

"Sorry, ma'am. There aint no smell of gas."

"It wasn't gas, Officer, I seen it! It wuzza... a gigantic—" Another spell left Arethusa's wand. A silvery strand of pure magic made its way towards the man, disappearing almost as soon as it came. "A huge hippopotto-gas. Gas."

"Come on," Arethusa whispered to Newt. She barely grazed his arm as she raced past him, rushing up the steps past all of the people fleeing the building.

Porpetina didn't follow. Arethusa presumed it was to stay behind and obliviate anyone who had seen anything as that seemed to be the one thing the former auror was really big on, or perhaps the woman hadn't seem them slip through the crowd and into the building.

They made their way up another set of stairs with Arethusa in the lead. All the destruction and damage seemed to be coming from the same direction as the golden trail leading her to the case. Finally they came to a busted open door. When she stepped through the golden trail had ended and a giant, gaping hole was revealed in the wall. "Poseidon's Beard."

Newt was concerned with much worse matters-- as he usually was-- and had directed his attention to the man lying on the floor. He groaned every so often, moving his head back and fourth as he tried to get comfortable. A medium sized bite was placed near his lower neck, which seemed to concern Newt more than the fact that the man was hurt. While he had a sneaking suspicion he needed to figure out what creatures had escaped the case when the man had opened it.