Big Ass Cookout

Kennedy P.O.V.

8:16

Sunday Morning

Compton's Christian Church Of God⛪ (idk)

"And without him,where would we be today? Not here no no no not here,not in the house of the lord...." the pastor went on preaching I zoned out of his words and looked around and when I say every family and every child in Compton came to church this Sunday I'm lying there were kids from all parts of Cali, Carson was in the house,South Central,Watts, Inglewood, there were even people from Sacramento, San Fran,and even Oakland came to church most not to hear the word of God but cause they were focused by their parents cause the first day of school was tomorrow an they needed that prayer,for protection. My stomach growled an I regretted skipping breakfast this morning but I knew if I would've eaten,there wouldn't be no seats so I would've to sit on the side of the stage. And black churches takes hours to end and a nigga was ready to fest the neighborhood was having a 'Big Ass Cookout' (idk if they do that in Cali but I know they do it here in Atl). Just thinking of the food had my mouth watering.

   I looked to my left and seen Mama H. smacking Q with her Bible as he was trying to dose off,I silently chuckled to myself as Q looked around lost,Soul was sleep I could tell he was,he had a hat covering his wild hair,and his shades on so you couldn't tell but he hasn't moved his left leg for the past 20min so he's sleep, Jay was sitting behind me with Ali as they pulled on my dreads every now and then. I was sitting all the way on the far right end of my row and on my row sat Anthony 'Top Dawg ', Dave,Sounwave, Punch,my mother, Unc Charles and Aunt Sasha(Kendrick parents I don't know there names but Charles and Sasha Duckworth just sounded right to me),Mama H,Soul,and of course Kendrick and Hoerane on the left end holding hands,I just rolled my eyes Kenny is just confused but I don't care because I'm not attracted to him an any way shape or form.

   "What You Can't Call Nobody?" a voice said behind me acting like Jerome from Martin. I chuckled already knowing who it was

"What do you want Keenon?" I asked him

"Go to the movies with me"he said

"Why?" I asked

"Why not? girl you know how many girls outchea would kill for me to ask em out"he said with confidence

"And your proud of that because?" I asked

"Hell yeah I'm proud that let's me know o ain't ugly and my dick be having the ho-ladies whipped" he said remembering we were outside of the church.

"Bye Keenon" I told him trying to walk away but he grabbed my hand

"Nah fr let me take you out I've been bugging you since 7th grade,why not? "he asked me. What's the worst that could happen he has been harassing to take me out since I moved to Cpt well Bpt to him. It's just he's gang related and likes to get into trouble I mean Q and Rock gangrelated to but they don't get into as much shit as Keenon.

"Fine YG, just text me" I told him,he did that lil sexy ass smile he always do that probably get all the ladies panties wet .

"Nigga, I see yo ass finally giving YG the time of day" Kenya my bestfriend said walking up to me.

"What you mean?" I asked her

"He came over to me,talking bout some 'yo bestfriend bout to be with a real one' " she said in a deep voice causing us both to laugh.

"Yeah,I mean why not" I shrugged

"I'm thinking that same thing,you always had a crush on him but everytime he asked you out you declined....why? " she asked me,I mean she did have a point I was slick obsessed with Keenon stayed daydreaming about him but always turned him down

"Tbh I don't know" I said looking at her.

"I think I do yo head was to far up everyone ass, you didn't wanna date him cause he stayed getting locked up,and stayed having girl drama and you just didn't want everyone to think bad about you because he's a gangbanger." she said, but I ain't have time to response cause Q came running to us.

"I see yo ass finally up"I said hitting him with my Bible. He chuckled and rubbed his head.

"Yeah,but hey Kenya"he told her

"Hey"she said before saying bye and that she wasn't gone be at the cookout cause her daddy was taking her out today he lived in Oakland,Cali. Q and Kenya use to date,she was a little too clingy to him always blowing up his phone asking where he at and at one point she followed him around for a whole 2days,so he took her virginity then dumped her.

"That was...." I said

"Awkward" Q said finishing my sentence as we both bust into a fit of laughter. Then Soul and Rock came over telling us how Ms.Marian fell down the steps, rolled on KC skateboard and landed in Ms.Cooper dog Coco booboo . After taking pictures we all went home to get dressed for the Big Ass Cookout.  I took of my black and white stripped dress,sandals and Pearl accessories for my faded denim booty shorts,and plain white tank top,low top all black Converse and left my dreads down they're almost to my elbow.

   'This is how we do it,it's Friday night and I feel alright the party here on the Westside so I reach for my forty than I turn it up,designated driver....' Montell Jordan blasted through the speaker as kids ran around the big open field,smoke from grills,blunts, cigars,cigarettes,and etc with the mix of the smell of  food filled the air. Laughter was everywhere, smiles were planted on everyones faces. Times like this I enjoyed we all may not get along,but we made sure not to cause any conflict on a God giving,drama free,relaxing day. I wish we could do this more often only time we do this is if someone from one of the neighborhoods dies,so this is the first for no apparent reason.

"Come here girl" YG said before pulling me to his chest,he wrapped his arms around my waist as we watched everyone, our heartbeat at the same rate, in his arms I felt some type of way,but shrugged it off. We sat at a round table with Q,Soul,Rock,Dave,Ali,Kendrick, Hoerene, Slim,Mustard, and Ty$ just  playing dominos,cards,even gambled a bit,cracking jokes, telling stories just having a good ole time before school tomorrow. The cookout got shut down early cause we had school early in the morning...nah fr we was making to much noise so they had hella cops telling us to go home, and shut it down so we did without argument cause we don't wanna be a next cop victim on the news.

  R.I.P to everyone who died by a cop or anyone of authority and who's not on the news being talked about or having celebrities making songs,rally for them.