11. TIME

It was different when we were alone in the cottage—nice to keep the mile or so distance between fantasy and insanity. It wasn't because we were bored with all the genetics talk and stories and myths and legends. It was because, in a way, we sort of couldn't stand the waiting. When you knew what horror was to come, it was an odd feeling for everyone to just stand around and help it along. And it was hard to not see it that way—as a monster.

But in another way, I felt like I empathized the most with Huilén. I'd nearly been killed after I'd gotten involved in Edythe's world. Being with her was never in my best interest as far as safety was concerned. My run-in with the tracker was a lot more straightforward than this, though. In that situation, it was clear who the enemy was. Everything in me was geared towards running from the monster; Joss was a clear-cut kind of killer.

The problem was infinitely more complicated for Huilén. You could run from someone you feared—as I had. You could fight to the death with someone you hated—like Edythe did. But when the one who was killing you was someone you loved, what other option did you have? If your life was all you had left to give to your beloved in order to protect them, how could you not give it?

I certainly knew what my choice would be.

It was just before sunrise when we got back to the house. I'd assumed Huilén would still be asleep, and we could keep watch while the others went hunting. They hadn't fed in a really long time.

But Huilén must have been awake. I heard a lot of mumbling going on along with the machinery sounds from upstairs again. Another x-ray? Looked like the countdown was starting off with a bang.

Archie opened the door before we could walk in. He sighed in relief as soon as he was out of the house. "Hey, guys. I'm gonna walk away from the house a minute. I need a break," he said, pinching the bridge of his nose.

I nodded. "Hey, Arch. What's going on upstairs?" I noticed no one was downstairs now.

He shrugged. "Maybe another rib?" I could see the pain in the back of his eyes as he tried to pry into the future automatically. Archie wasn't used to not knowing what was going on.

"Pelvis this time..." Edythe muttered, accessing someone's thoughts.

I heard Royal's voice upstairs. "I knew I heard a crack..."

It was weird to see Royal so... involved... with anything other than himself.

Archie shook his head. "I think Royal is going to end up ripping Ati apart if she doesn't keep trying to hide new injuries from Carine."

"Hide?" I asked. Edythe was already in the house.

Archie made a face. "She keeps trying to play things off for Huilén, to make it seem not so severe. She's so wrapped up in that thing."

"Oh... Well, have fun on your walk," I said.

Archie nodded.

Edythe and Ati were bringing Huilén back down the stairs. I wondered why they didn't just carry her.

Carine came down slowly after them, and I could see the amount of stress on her face. It actually made her look old enough to be a doctor for once.

They all assumed their positions on the couch again and started watching the TV absentmindedly. Earnest, Eleanor, and Jess were in the kitchen, making up tons of food for Huilén. I could hear one of those cooking shows on the kitchen TV.

I sat down on the couch with Edythe and our patient. I looked down at the floor, trying not to think too much about the future. And out of the corner of my eye, I noticed Huilén watching me carefully.