18. WHY HADN'T I JUST RUN AWAY?

It was such a convincing little speech; I almost didn't notice how blatantly obvious the manipulation was. It was battle day, and Riley was up on her soapbox again.

"There are so many things you don't know about vampires," Riley started. "And some of those things don't make much sense. This will be one of those things you won't understand, or even believe at first."

She deliberated a minute. "Four times a year... the sun shines at a specific, indirect angle. During that one day every few months, we can be outside during the day without being fried."

Everyone seemed to stop breathing. It was like Riley was talking to a bunch of statues.

"One of those days is beginning now. The sun rising today won't hurt any of us. And our enemies don't know that we know that. We're going to take this opportunity for the ambush."

So Riley knew about the sun all along... Or she didn't and was dumb enough to believe this 'four days' crap our creator had told her.

"I know, I know... The thought of is scary," Riley said to the statues. "This is the reason you're all still alive. You got home on time, you didn't make mistakes... But I do expect you to follow me out."

Her eyes watched the room, waiting for protests.

"Watch me," she said. "And you will see that it doesn't hurt. But don't freak when you see how I look in the sun. It will be intense, but it won't hurt you in any way."

She started up the stairs.

"Riley, can't we just wait until—" Kyle began.

"Just pay attention," Riley said. "This gives us the best advantage."

Riley opened the basement door and walked into the kitchen. There was no light in there, but everyone still shied away from the open doorway.

I felt Florence's eyes on me. I looked at her, and she was staring back at me urgently as if she wanted to take off. But there was nowhere she could go.

"It's okay," I whispered silently. "She's not making this up."

"You trust her?" she mouthed back at me.

"No way."

Florence raised an eyebrow and relaxed slightly.

"Okay, guys. I'm going out. You don't have to be afraid today. Trust me."

The light burst into the basement when the door opened, magnified by Riley's skin. The reflections danced along the walls.

Hissing and snarling erupted from all around me. People recoiled away from the light.

"Relax..." Riley called down to us. "I feel fine. No pain at all. Come and see. That's an order."

No one moved any closer to the door. Everyone looked terrified, and I realized now how silly I had looked to Deena.

"You know," Riley mused from above. "I'm curious to see who is the bravest of all you guys. I have a good idea who will be the first person through that door."

I rolled my eyes. Subtle.

"You can hear me. You know I'm not on fire. Don't be chicken shit! You're a vampire. Act like one!"

Still, no one could go any farther.

"Oh, for the love of Christ," Riley murmured. She stepped back in the door. "Look at me! I'm fine. Seriously! C'mere, Branden."

I slowly walked toward her, and she reached out and grabbed me, pulling me through the doorway. The light brightened everyone in the house when I was in the sun.