Part 9 - The Swap Back

On a breezy winter's day, when everything was busy and full of life, the faint sound of horse hooves could be heard from across the forest. Families clutched one another, hoping The King would appreciate their hard work. It was his gold that had been used, after all.

The King and his men rode back across sleet filled rivers They had now hardened over winter which made the journey easier. He rode up and over mountains, his stressed wife lulled to sleep each night by the thought of seeing their son and returning the other couple's child.

"The King is coming! The King is coming!" the townspeople hushed one another, excitement clear in their soft voices. No longer needing dusters and cloths, they began to bake cakes, biscuits and other sweet treats. They were not what you would call joyous but the excitement and tension continued to build. Why was it that they were to be visited by The King? And with his son!

At last, the final touches were complete and everyone was in their best Sunday outfit. The tall, crimson carriage with a silver lining had once again returned. The King sat in his carriage, his elegant queen beside him. Little did the town know, they both felt sick with worry. Queen Caroline's dark hair was tied in a braid that continued over her left shoulder, tied with a crushed velvet ribbon. She waved gracefully to the villagers. Even they could see the dark circles shadowing her face.

The Queen tripped and fell as she left her carriage, clearly not thinking. The King followed, his face grim. The King cleared his throat pointedly, and the chatter faded. "I'd like to speak to you all. Perhaps my wife and I could have some refreshments before we begin?" The people parted and The King led his wife through the crowd, rubbing her soft hand tenderly. As he disappeared inside, they muttered to each other: "Why's he here? And what kind of speech?"