chapter twenty ➸ the epilogue

One Week Later

The only soul I saw for a week after that fateful night was the Resistance nurse who tended to my injuries. I came out lucky, they said. I only lost a finger and a couple of toes; but the worst burns my flesh had sustained would stay with me, as scars, for the rest of my life.

I had no familiar visitors. My family was lost to me when I was young. Master Luke disappeared moments after he dropped me here, promising to contact me again soon. All of my friends are dead. The love of my life has fallen.

I am completely alone now.

"Master Escara," the nurse announces, using the name Master Skywalker asked that they address me by, "you are free to leave the medical wing now. Uriah will take you to see the General."

I didn't think it right that I am addressed as a Master here when I haven't earned it, but Master Skywalker insisted. I decided it was his way of honoring me, after the tragedy I survived. I don't feel like a survivor. I feel as if my soul had died that night too, within the Temple, disintegrated into ash.

I clench my teeth, and very slowly I rise from my bed. My swollen skin throbs, and tears form at my eyes as I try to bear it all.

A man, Uriah I assume, awaits me just outside the door, an encouraging smile gracing his face. I limp behind him as we exit, having a hard time growing accustomed to the missing toes.

There don't appear to be many winding corridors, but it feels as if I had been walking forever by the time we reach the room where the general awaits me.

The door slides open with a hiss, and my throat hitches when I catch sight of who is waiting inside.

"Leia." I breathe, raising my eyebrows.

"Lyra, I'm so happy to see you alive." She is on her feet immediately, ushering me inside. Her arms encircle me gently, and I am surprised to find that the contact doesn't cause any pain, only warmth and comfort.

Ben never appreciated her as much as he should have, but I did. I saw her as the mother I never had.

"So much has happened, Leia, I... don't even know how to fathom it all." I sniff, the sadness overwhelming me.

"You are the strongest young woman I know. You'll get through it. Hope will help you to carry on." She encourages, leading me to the table in the center of what appears to be her chambers. I ease into one of the chairs, staring at the ground numbly, the thoughts crowding my mind proving to be too distracting.

"Now, to business.. The First Order is growing stronger as we speak, and they are searching every system to be sure every jedi has been vanquished. That means you are still in grave danger."

"So I'll regain my strength and stay with you all to fight." I finish, clenching my fists. In my heart I know that I cannot go on until I have avenged my losses, and the First Order is at the center of it all. It can only make sense that I fight alongside the Resistance.

"They'll find you here. We can't afford that." She disagrees gently, searching my face.

"Where will I go? I have no family... all of my friends are gone." I whisper, the weight of what I had audibly admitted threatening to crush me.

"I know just the place, dear. My birth mother's home planet will provide you with everything you need, if only you will protect their queen in return. Naboo is a peaceful planet, and they have little quarrel with the First Order. You will be safe there." She promises, holding my hands with her own, sincerity in her cloudy eyes.

"I hear Naboo is... beautiful." I say, trying to sound positive.

"Enchanting." She confirms. "And, I promise that when the time comes we will call you. You have so much to fight for." She squeezes my hands before gathering me into her arms once again.

"I have hope that he will come back to us one day. You should too." She whispers in my ear to protect her words from prying ears. Silent tears cascade down my cheeks as she finally mentions her son, the one we both share a strong love for. I nod, unable to reply.

She pulls back to look at my face and I hiccup, attempting a smile. She wipes my tears away with her thumbs and kisses my cheek, then helps me to the door.

I limp after Uriah once again, towards the hangar this time to face a new adventure, one I had never imagined I would be taking.

"Lyra!" Leia calls. I turn around and face her once more.

"May the force be with you!"

-

Meanwhile, systems away upon the Finalizer, Kylo Ren looks over the stars through the slanted glass wall in his quarters, and wonders where it had all gone wrong... when he lost the stars he had called his own.

-

END OF BOOK ONE

-

that's it guys! you know the drill! vote, comment, and let me know what you think!

i will be posting one more part to this story TONIGHT with information on the sequel. i'm not gonna start it right away, but soon!

tell me what you think is gonna happen in the next book somewhere in the comments, your predictions and things if you want!

ok, one last time in this story...

thank u all.

-kait