Don't go outside

You never know when the world is about to change, but when it does... Stay dry.

I open the front door of my house. Seeing what is beyond familiar to me. No people, except my reflection cast in the big hallway mirror hanging next to me. In the corner of my eye, I can see my reflection looking back at me. A small, frail boy with hair as black as oil. His hazel eyes staring curiously at me from the mirror. It almost feels like another presence is with me.

The thought of it calms me. Maybe because when I feel like this, I feel like I'm not alone either. I generally don't think that I'm lonely. Two parents working fulltime in a research lab does make one feel lonely from time to time though. I do long for it, my parents being more with me. In the past, we used to spend more time together at the weekends but lately, they seem to have too much on their heads. Instead, my parents leave me a note every day for me to read once I return from school. It isn't exactly what I want, but I will always prefer something over nothing.

I leave the mirror alone and make my way into the living room. I put down my backpack next to the couch as I take a seat, letting out a sigh while doing so. I really didn't feel up for it but it had to be done. Homework. After I took my books out of my backpack, I turn on the radio to fill up the house with a bit of life. Maybe I'm lonelier then I thought.

After what feels like years but in reality is just an hour. I put my book down on the small coffee table in front of me and make my way to the kitchen. There my eyes spot the famous note stuck to the fridge. Hanging there and waiting for me to read it.

"We hope you had a great day at school today! We really look forward to seeing our boy again tomorrow! - Love, mom and dad P.S. Dinner is in the microwave."

I can't help myself but crack out a smile. It's the odd relationship I have with them. Most teenagers my age would hate finding a note for them stuck on the fridge. I can't help but wonder why. I've never got in major fights with my parents. Sure, my dad and I have to occasional "difference of opinions" but saying that I hate them is just too farfetched for me. Maybe it's because I don't see them much, we just don't have the time to clash.

While waiting for my dinner to be ready, I feel my phone starting to vibrate in my pocket. Thinking that I am going to die for a split second, I realise what it actually is. I quickly grab my phone out of my pocket to be greeted by a message in a group chat made out of school friends of mine.

"So anyone wants to hang out at my place tonight? I've got nothin' to do."

I stare at my phone for at least a minute with my thumb hovering above the touch screen. As the microwave starts beeping I quickly reply with a "sounds good" before taking out my meal. I sit back down on the couch with the plate full of food on my lap. The radio still softly playing in the background as I eat. Accompanied by soft tapping on the windows. The sound of rain. I always have loved the rain. It's mysterious and it creates a nice, relaxed mood. When I'm inside that is. If anyone is outside then I'm pretty sure that person hates the rain at that moment.

I find myself in the kitchen again after I finished my dinner. Doing the dishes since I really don't like leaving my parents to clean up my mess. In the meantime, the tapping on the window has gotten louder to the point it starts getting bothersome. I take another look out of the window to see that the rain wasn't going to stop anytime soon. The skies almost turned as black as my hair. It is a beautiful yet unnerving sight. Seeing nature rage at us like this.

I feel my mobile phone buzzing in my pocket once again as this time it is my mother who is calling me. I quickly press the answer button as my face started smiling uncontrollably again. However, my happiness turns to confusion the moment I hear the voice on the other side yelling at me.

After the Rainजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें