The Mating Ball

I open my eyes and internally groan. Today is my favorite day. Note the sarcasm. The Mating Ball. Where all the wolves go to find their mates. No thanks.

'At least one of us isn't a party pooper' my wolf, Emily says.

I roll my eyes at her remark and grab my phone from my nightstand, knowing they won't let me stay home this year. It's been two years since my first Mating Ball when I was seventeen. We're able to find our mates at seventeen. If it weren't for what had happened after the first Mating Ball my friends and family would've forced me to go last year too. The Mating Ball is stupid. Mates are stupid.

'Oh shut up' Emily snaps.

I let my head drop. Emily is like my BFF.

'Sorry' I say to her.

'It's okay. I know it hurts but we'll find a good mate this time. I promise' she says softly.

'I don't know what you're talking about' I say stiffly.

She sighs and I unlock my phone. I have two messages in our group chat with my two BFF's.

Diana: Melllll! You know what day it is! You're finally going to get a good mate!!!

Cam: I'm only going for the food. Foooooood.

Me: Yes. Only for the food.

Diana: -_- Mel.

Me: Yesh?

Diana: You are going to find a better mate.

After that I shut off my phone and set it back on my nightstand. I sit up and throw off my blankets. The cold air swooshes over me and I immediately miss my warm, soft blankets. I push myself off the bed and walk across the room to my bathroom. I look at my rough reflection and know that my friends are on their way. The only thing I was looking forward to today was getting to see Evan after four long years. He was my childhood bestfriend. And a soon-to-be Alpha.

~~~~~Time Skip~~~~~

After hours of being prepared by Cam and Diana I was ready and so were they. I had natural makeup on. I was wearing a beautiful floor length midnight blue dress that was covered in sparkles. I looked pretty. I actually looked pretty. My brown hair was curled and pulled into a bun with two loose curls framing my face. Cam was wearing a light pink dress and had her black hair straightened. Diana had her brown hair curled loosely and was in a light green silk dress. We looked amazing. We stepped outside and to our limo. The whole ride was spent fidgeting in nervousness. I just wanted to go and then leave. We said goodbye and went our separate ways. I immediately head to the food table and start stuffing my face. 

'Oh come on. Let's go find our mate' Emily whines.

'What mate' I snap.

She whimpers and I sigh. Then I smell something so wonderful. 

My wolf howls in delight as I go in search of my mate. I hit somebody flat in the chest and the scent smashes into me. I look up slowly. It's Evan.

"Mate" he growls.

"Evan" I screech and hug him tightly.

He pulls away and I punch his shoulder playfully and say "It's good to see you loser."

He glares at me and says "If anybody is the loser it's you."

"Wow. That's nice. Sorry I think all the stupidness radiating off you is getting to me, I should leave before I become a stupid jerk too" I say rolling my eyes.

"Don't talk to me like that. I am your Alpha" he growls at me.

"I told them it'd be too good to get a better mate. They didn't fucking listen" I spat at him.

He glares at me and says "Better? Do you already have a mate?"

"Had" I say fuming. 

I turn on my heel and head straight for the women's room. I step in and thankfully it's empty. Then I get them again. The flashbacks.

'HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO ME' I sob uncontrollably, unable to look at his face.

I scream in pain. I can't stop it this time. I fall to my knees with my hands covering my ears.

"Stop! STOP" I scream.

Now I'm falling completely and I see a blurry yet familiar face etched with panic and worry before the darkness consumes me.