Luna-Worthy

~"I think I'm in love with you."~

Before I can reply the door slams open and Jack rushes in.

"You two need to leave, now. We're under attack" he says panicked.

Evan grabs my arm and practically drags me to the hallway.

"Follow your brother, okay" Evan says.

"Excuse me? I'm coming with you, I'm not going to cower and watch while your people fight" I say sternly.

"That was an order. Go" he says harshly.

Before I can fight back Jack grabs my arms and starts pulling me away. I try to kick him but he dodges me.

"Damit Jack! Let me go" I yell.

Evan starts to walk away and I struggle more.

"I'm sorry sis. Got to protect you" he says and drags me toward another room.

"I'm not a damsel in distress! I am a soon-to-be-Luna and I will not let you do this" I say in a commanding voice.

"I have to. Even if you could've convinced me to let you fight, there's no way your convincing him" he says as we finally reach the door.

I yank my arm out of his grip and huff as I open the door. It's filled with people. There are three women, one holding a baby in her arms. There are six men and one teenage girl, no older than sixteen. She looked so scared. She had pale skin and hair black as night.

I approach her slowly and say softly "Hi. I'm Melanie. What's your name?"

She looks surprised and says "My name is Leilah."

"That's a beautiful name" I say smiling.

"Thank you Luna" she says.

I freeze. She called me Luna. I feel a tap on my shoulder and turn to see Jack as he gently pulls me across the room towards one of the men.

"This is Aaron, the beta. He will be your personal guard from now on" Jack says gesturing to the man.

I roll my eyes in annoyance but turn to the man.

"Nice to meet you. I'm Melanie" I say to him holding out my hand.

He shakes my hand and says "Nice to meet you too Luna."

I pull Jack to the side out of ear-shot from everyone and whisper harshly "Why is everyone calling me Luna?"

"Because you're going to be Luna soon. And because you're worthy of being a Luna" he says with a shrug.

"But Luna is a big title and their putting all their faith in me and I don't even know how to be a Luna and what if I let them dow-" Jack cuts me off.

"You'll be a great Luna sis" he says.

A light bulb goes off in my head like a spark.

"You're right" I say slyly.

"Mel- wait what" he says in confusion.

"I said you're right. You know, I'm really thirsty, can you go get me some water" I ask smiling.

"Ugh fine" he says and walks out of the room.

I slide over to the window and make sure no one is looking. I unlatch it as quietly as possible.

Just as I open the window I hear Aaron shout 'Luna' but I dash out the window and shift. I hear growls and fighting and start to run toward it. The battle ground soon comes into view. There are dead wolves everywhere and I search for Evan in the midst of the chaos. I see him pinned underneath another wolf and before he can hurt Evan I jump and tackle him to the ground with a growl. The wolf fell unconscious and Evan growls lowly at me as if to say he told me to stay back. I ignore him and set out to helping the pack fight the enemy. Then I feel someone's stare and I freeze on the spot. James... I turn around slowly and surely there he is in his human form. I look around quickly to see Evan in the distance fighting more wolves. I have to do this on my own. I take a deep breath and glare daggers at him and quickly grab a large shirt from off the ground before shifting back to human form and slipping it on, aware that some of my scars were visible.

"Good. So you haven't forgotten" he says with a dark laugh.

"No. I haven't. But I've changed. You can't win this fight," I say confidently.

Suddenly I felt cold metal on my neck as someone held a knife to my throat.

"Oh, but I can," he says.

He nodded at whoever was holding the knife and a cloth was was brought to my mouth as I struggled for air.

"Evan," I choked out with my last breath.