Chapter 4

Disclaimer: All recognizable characters belong to George R.R. Martin and J.K. Rowling.

A.N: As usual, don't like, don't read. I didn't get paid anyway, so I don't have much time to deal with your bullshit. Cheers.
* * *
Chapter 4
* * *

273 AC

The family, except for Doran who was to be the castellan and not wanting to leave his bethroted, Mellario, left Sunspear in a quest to secured bethrothal to both Oberyn and Elia, and while her parents still stick to their rules on not discussing bethrothal before their children at least five and ten, it doesn't mean that they couldn't look for a potential groom for Princess Maya. Elia found it all exciting, as it was the first time she was allowed on a long journey because of her delicate health. But Oberyn were often bored, and preferred to amuse himself by mocking his older sister's potential suitor. So far, he came up with Little Lord Lazyeye, Squire Squishlips, one he named the Whale That Walks, that sort of thing. Hermione of course didn't entirely approved of it, but she admitted some really deserved the nickname. The only one who was even halfway presentable was Baelor Hightower.

"A pretty lad." Oberyn had said, and Elia was half in love with him already, but Hermione really couldn't stand how he was overdoing everything. The smarmy git reminded her a lot of Gilderoy Lockhart. So when he was in their presence, Hermione secretly sent him flatulence jinx, making sure he had the misfortune to fart in their presence. Oberyn had laughed out loud and promptly named him Baelor Breakwind, and after that Elia couldn't look at him without laughing.

"That was brilliant!" Oberyn exclaimed when there was just two of them.

"I don't know what you're talking about, brother." She said, face the image of an angel. "Maybe Lord Baelor just feel a little bit... gassy."

Oberyn rolled his eyes, then. "Yeah, and I'm the Crown Prince of the Seven Kingdoms." He said sarcastically, but smirked at his sister.

Then, their mother received a raven about the Lady Joanna Lannister's death. As they were in the Old Town, already, she decided that the family should pay their respect to her dearest friend.

Casterly Rock was still in mourning when they arrived. Such a queer time to come visiting, but she learns for a long time that if her mother had decided something, there's not much to do to deter her. She was stubborn and impulsive, something that Oberyn inherited.

The Lord of the castle ignored them the whole time after commanding his brother to see of their entertainment. To be honest, Hermione partially understood why the Lord is doing this. He's still grieving after his beloved wife just died giving birth to his son, as Hermione refused to call him a monster like some whispers around the place. It's just dwarfism, not a contagious deathly disease. Besides, it's not like he asked to be born that way, and Lady Joanna just unfortunate to succumb to the blood loss as she gave birth. She wonders if the Lord Lannister would react the same way to his children if the Lady died after giving birth to the twins, because as far as she know, birthing twins is far more risky than birthing a single child.

They were placed in the rooms that was dark and windowless that Oberyn half jokingly called their cell as it remind him of the dungeon, and Hermione agrees with him. Sure, it has featherbed and Myrish carpet, but still. And that's not even the last thing Oberyn complained about. The skies were too grey, the wines too sweet, the women too chaste, the food too bland... And Hermione would just roll her eyes at her brother's antics.

One day, their parents had asked for a meeting with Lord Tywin, obviously about the betrothal. Then Cersei, the oldest of the Lannisters siblings promised to show them her brother. She and her twin Jaime took them to her brother's nursery. The wet nurse tried to send them off, but Cersei was having none of that.