chapter eleven; a moonless night.

She gently cracked the door open further to listen in on what they were saying.

"Women are fickle and weak-minded. They're easy to manipulate and control. It really shouldn't be this difficult for you to just fuck her, Julien!"

"Look, she obviously only has eyes for him. I've been trying to gain her affection for years, but she only sees me as a friend. I really don't think it's possible for me to use her to influence the leader."

Primrose felt her heart lurch with betrayal; her only friend for so many years wasn't really her friend at all. He only associated with her as a means of getting closer to Michael, to power.

She felt an inner darkness and rage that she had never felt before. How dare he treat her like this? Like she was no more than a simple pawn?

She recalled Michael's request's for their ritual;

"In order to travel between dimensions, we will need to sacrifice our very beings, our souls, the core of who we are. You, a woman of purity, must feast on the blackest heart on earth. I, a man of darker intentions, must ingest the noblest."

Well, Primrose thought to herself. If it's a black heart you want...

She was about to make her presence known before Julien spoke again.

"Besides... I don't want to."

"Yeah, don't I know it." She heard Julien's father scoff. "It's all that time you spend with that servant boy, you've gone all... queer."

"I don't want to use her because she's a good person! I can't do it."

Oh, Primrose thought. Well that complicates things...

Before Primrose could consider her options any further, she felt Michael's presence behind her.

"Well done, pet." He cooed into her ear, the sensation of her breath on the nape of her neck made her shiver. "You've found what we were looking for."

Oh no! She cursed herself internally. We're bonded, stupid! He knows everything I'm thinking!

Michael waved his hand in front of the door, using his magic to propel it open.

Both father and son took in his appearance with a look of sheer shock and terror etched upon their faces; Michael looked upon them as a predator might look upon his prey.

"Well, well." Michael sauntered over to them, hands clasped behind his back. "I dare say it's been an extremely long time since I last had the pleasure of your company, Jeff."

Jeff's brass colored bowl cut covered his eyes as he fell to his knees and bowed before him. "M-my lord, it's an honor to see you again." He said, nervously.

"Now, now. I think this will be easier on all of us if we agree not to lie to each other... don't you think?"

Jeff looked up at him, startled. "Why of course, my lord."

"Good." Michael grinned devilishly, before crouching down to look at the petrified Jeff on his level. "It's funny that we should unexpectedly reunite on tonight, of all nights. The night where my lover and I are in need of the blackest of hearts... know anyone who might fit that bill?"

Jeff cluelessly contemplated the question in his head, and while Primrose did not condone what Michael was about to do to this man she couldn't help but feel offended at his absolute stupidity.

"Well I mean, Sally from level 7 is kind of a bitc-"

Jeff was cut off by Michael's hand on his throat.