Chapter twenty-three

I sat on my bed smoking a cigarette as I contemplated what to do. Nancy and even Ashley wasn't answering that left Jake. He was probably talking to the police now.

I looked at the clock on my nightstand that displayed five thirty-three in the morning. How long ago had he tried to call us? I couldn't recall. I hated him for what he's done but he didn't deserve this. Why the hell would Ashley do this? It didn't make sense.

"Fuck it!" I put my cigarette out in a empty Venom can and slipped out of the dress to trade it for the clothes I wore yesterday not wanting to bother with picking out clean clothes.

"What are you doing?"

Joann's voice startled me. She stood leaning up against my door giving me her judgemental look and it didn't appear to have anything to do with catching me in my underwear.

"Joann, what the fuck?! Get the hell out of here! I'm practically naked! " I snapped at her.

"So? Aren't you supposed to be a woman now? Then what's the big deal?"

Instead of listening she proceeded to enter sitting besides me on the bed.

"It's still weird as fuck having you see me in my underwear. Get out!"

"Try triple for me. But my Crystal senses is tingling letting me know you're about to do something stupid. So weird or not, I want to know what you're doing."

I took a deep breath trying to figure out if I should say anything or not. The past couple times hadn't gone well but maybe she'd be more willing now since she's the one pushing. I just didn't have time now.

"Joann, maybe later we can talk if you're ready. Right now, I need to get going." I said as I quickly put on my jeans.

"Is this about the werewolves? Crystal, I'm really trying to be open minded when it comes to you and you and the way you are- I like your bra by the way. But I can only try wrapping my head around one thing at a time." She hid her head in her hands. This has to be tough for her. I wrapped my arms around her

"Don't worry about it right now. I know it's a lot to take in it was for me too. Just be glad you haven't had your boyfriends wife beat the shit out of you then "claim" you. That took some getting use to."

She looked up at me "Nancy's one?"

"How do you think she got back to Lakeside?"

She let out a deep sigh pulling away. It was clear she still wasn't ready for this yet she needed to or I'd be constantly worried with the violence now escalating.

"I'm going to bed. I'll see you in the afternoon or whenever I wake up."

I watched her leave my room once again not using her crutches. Maybe I could try again tonight. I lit another cigarette and took a few drags letting the nicotine work its magic.

Dobby was laying at my feet so I bent down and scratched him behind the ears. I needed to spend more time with him. With everything going on I hadn't done so as often as I liked.

Throwing my hair into a ponytail I decided to try Nancy one more time. Once again I got nothing but her voicemail. I really wish I could figure her out. Talk about hot and cold. If she wanted nothing more to do with me why'd she force me to return with her? I tossed my phone in my back pocket when Dobby's ears shot up and he started growling.

"What is it?" I asked getting up and checking the window. Aside from my car and all the junk scattered around I have out there nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

"There's nothing out there. Calm down!"

As I closed the curtain a loud crashing sound came from down the hall. I heard Joann scream as Dobby raced out of my room barking almost knocking me off balance in the process.