Part 3

The majority of James' mind as he drove was filled with a white fog. He wasn't sure if he was in shock or something else - it was similar to being so drunk you couldn't see straight. But unfortunately without the alcohol.

Instead, just empty vacant depths of nothingness.

It had been five years since he'd felt this - and he'd been in his car then too; hammering up the M1 towards Leeds. Thankfully, this journey was shorter than that one had been, but it was also unfortunate because it felt like he'd barely had time to properly gather his thoughts before he was pulling up in the carpark at the Royal.

Dodging the mass of reporters and cameras, James drove through without sparing them a second glance. He knew as soon as he got out there would be a rabble of questions being shouted in his general direction - and oh how he would love to just flip them off with a savage "Fuck off" in their general direction.

But alas, he knew he had to stay professional.

Sure enough, as soon as he got out of the Porsche, the rumble at the gates to the hospital carpark began.

"James, do you have any updates for us?"

"What does this mean for the future of Top Gear?"

"Can we have a quote, Mr May?"

The questions all blurred together in his ears, making one of the most droning noises he'd ever heard in his life (and he'd heard some good contenders for that - his old history teacher came immediately to mind). Resolutely ignoring them, he walked into the entrance to the hospital and quickly spotted Francie.

"You're here" James commented, surprised to see her - given that Andy said he hadn't been able to reach her on her mobile.

Teary grey eyes glanced back at him. "I was already driving when he tried to call me. I only just arrived myself" she replied, pulling him into a hug.

"You haven't seen him, then?" he was almost hesitant to ask, and there was a part of him that was relieved when Francie shook her head.

"He's in surgery" she whispered, twin tears falling from her bloodshot eyes. "The doctors need to d-drain the water from his lungs and repair some internal bleeding."

Hissing, James put a comforting hand on her quivering shoulder. The younger woman smiled at his efforts and wiped a hand across her cheeks and eyes.

"Oh James, I'm glad you're here."

At that moment, a doctor in surgical scrubs and a slightly grim expression approached them, and they both fell silent.

*****

(King's College Hospital, about 20 minutes later.....)

"Uncle James!"

Stepping off the lift and into the corridor heading towards the ward, James immediately smiled at the sight of Izzy and Willow running towards him - both grinning widely (and, in Willow's case, a bit toothily).

"Hello, you two crazy monkeys!" he greeted back warmly, crouching down and opening his arms. His smile grew as the two young girls threw themselves into the offered hug with almost identical excited cheers. He wasn't big on hugs normally, but he always made an exception for his niece and nephew, and also for his friends' children.

"Are you here to see Daddy, Uncle James?" Willow asked, pulling her head away from his shoulder slightly, brown eyes that were so much like her father's blinking up at him with too much innocence. "He's broken a car again."

"He's so silly" added Izzy, shaking her head. "He really should know better by now!"

Chuckling, James let them go and he caught Mindy's eye over Izzy's shoulder. She smiled warmly at him, eyes twinkling at their interaction.