The Transformation

In the beginning, before the aliens arrived, dragons did not exist. There was simply no reason for them to exist in our minds, yet they did. They existed in our heads because people wished they did. Myths and tales were created from them, but they were made out to be monsters. So why did we like them so much? Maybe it's because we know they aren't real and we like to indulge ourselves by liking a villainous creature. It's how people like a Tyrannosaurus Rex. It existed at one point in time, but we knew that there was no logical reasoning for their existence in our time. The time of the humans.

I myself did not indulge in dragons or dinosaurs. I preferred to not think about their existence. Science was an ever-advancing field and I knew at some point in my lifetime, these villainous creatures would be brought back to life. I knew it wouldn't be for the best.

As a student at a university in upstate New York, I was used to having to basically walk everywhere. Walking to the local coffee shop wasn't unusual to me and I instinctively knew where and when to turn left or right as I focused on the phone in my hand. I was just scrolling through social media, something not uncommon to people my age. It unfortunately, would cost my the two legs I walk upon.

I was about a block away from the coffee shop when I felt the gaze of someone on the back of my neck. Again, not uncommon. But this time the gaze seemed more unfriendly and I could tell by the shiver that ran down my spine. I hesitantly turned my head, my eyes locking with a man standing in the shadows at the corner of two streets.

I quickened my pace, trying to keep my breathing even. I refused to allow someone to scare me into running. However, as I was focused on the man behind me, I lacked to notice the woman in front of me. I collided with her and my initial reaction was to apologize, but I unfortunately got as close as opening my mouth and inhaling before I felt a sharp pain in my left arm.

My eyes snapped to the location of the pain and I gasped. A syringe, now empty, was plunged into a vein running through my forearm. Funnily enough, my last thought before I blacked out was on how she knew where my vein was from such a distance.

When I awoke, I could barely breath. I was tightly confined and I could feel my limbs are drawn close to my body. There was an insufferable heat and I flexed my muscles. They were weak and I began to wonder if it was a side effect of the drug infected into my system. No matter, I needed to escape. I tried my best to keep calm but a panic was beginning to override my brain. I began to struggle futilely inside my container until a loud cracking sound echoed. I froze. Had my captors heard that?

When I heard no sounds coming from outside my prison, my struggles resumed. I continued for what felt like twenty minutes but must have only been five. More cracking sounds had echoed but I ignored them as I fought to escape. In one finally push, a blinding light hit my eyes causing my to flinch. The movement rocked my cage to the side and I fell with it. Only a few short seconds later and I was free, the cage shattered to pieces.

I froze for a minute after looking at the cage. We're those eggshells? I blinked my eyes rapidly to try and decipher what I was seeing. Yes, those were eggshells. Now I was thoroughly confused and I began to look around, letting out a short squeal as my eyes connected with the form of a beast. Or should I rather say, a dragon.

How was this possible you may ask? I could not tell you. I approached the beast but stopped in surprise. Was I crawling? Or was I just hallucinating? My eyes swiveled down to check and another screech of terror escaped me. There was no way this was true. Now I had to be dreaming.

That dragon was me!

My eyes rolled in the back of my head from shock and I promptly passed out.