Armin -- the Shadow

at the end of the day they just remember you when you're on the verge of disappearing

Act I — Scene III

Armin was drowning in the shadows of his friends. He couldn't see the other side and his feet couldn't touch the bottom and he couldn't see the light and there was no air and and and—

He would never live up to them.

He would never live up to them because he wasn't suited for the front lines. He worked from the deep, dark depths of their shadows and half the time he was surprised he was even still standing.

Why couldn't he be more like Mikasa? She was strong, she was level-headed, she was capable. But he knew that no one could ever live up to her.

Even Eren was remembered, the crazy, revenge-seeking person that he was. Maria, he'd even come back from the dead! If someone did that, it's no wonder they'd be remembered.

But Armin wasn't Eren.

And he'd never be Mikasa.

In fact, sometimes he wondered why he wasn't dead yet.

Did they really need him?

Was he worth the trouble?

Armin didn't think so.

There were so many times when he should have died, so many times that everyone should have forgotten about him, so many times that the others had died in his place and he just wanted to put an end to it all.

Everyone carried blades so if he fell on his at just the right time, just the right place, no one would be the wiser.

But how many other people would die because he was so selfish?

If only they would stop.

If only they would think.

If only they would notice him.

Maybe he should just die.

(Too bad he didn't know Eren was in the same position.)

(Too bad Mikasa wasn't as strong as he thought.)