Jean -- the Friend

just because i let you go doesn't mean i wanted to

Act II — Scene I

Despite how he acted, Jean didn't care about what other people said about him.

He reacted on instinct, not really noticing what he was doing. He got into fights, feigned affection, made friends, enemies, but none of that mattered.

He only cared about one person.

And when that person told him that he could lend a hand, could be significant, well, he'd be damned if he didn't prove that one person right. He would be someone. He would be brave. He would be significant.

But—

Jean died along with Marco.

His soul was crushed.

His spirit, broken.

And he was alone.

The world chewed him up until he was nothing but a pulp and spat him right back out in a titan pellet.

Like the other half of Marco.

The other half of his heart.

Jean kept so much inside, hid so much away, that he didn't know how to tell the truth anymore. People died, people died every day. It had never had an impact on him before, why should it now? He hadn't cared when Thomas died, hadn't cared when he used others as a sacrifice, so why the hell should he now?

He knew why.

It was because—

None of them were Marco.

None of them cared enough to break down his walls, none of them cared enough to at least try and be a friend, none of them really cared.

None of them.

The problem was, he hadn't spread his love. Jean had loved one person and one person only.

And now, only one half of that person was left.

Only one half of Marco.

And half of him had died too.

(Too bad Eren really was suicidal.)

(Too bad Mikasa was a robot.)

(Too bad Armin was insignificant as well.)