The Letter

"This is Kaitlyn Osborne coming to you live from the FBI Headquarters in Quantico, Virginia. One hour ago we received reports of an armed man making his way into the building, just five minutes after a full evacuation started." The woman spoke loud over the sound of fire engines and police sirens, "Soon after, a large explosion rocked through one of the top floors of the building" She paused for effect, pushing her finger into her earpiece,

"My sources tell me there are still close to seventy agents in the building, including well renowned author and profiler David Rossi, his unit chief Aaron Hotchner and the other five members of the Behavioral Analysis Unit. There are no reports of any survivors"

******** Seven Days Earlier ********

"We've all done this —created our mix-and-match families, our homemade safety nets." - David Levithan

Morgan spun in his chair, twirling a small green troll looking figurine. Prentiss raised an eyebrow at him, "If Garcia finds out you stole that from her office, you'll have hell to pay"

Morgan shrugged, "Beats sitting around here with nothing to do"

"There isn't nothing to do" Reid spoke up from where he sat, "There's plenty of paperwork"

Prentiss groaned, "Plenty is right, remind me again why we're stuck with paperwork at six o'clock on a Sunday morning?"

"Strauss wants the monthly reports a week early, said something about 'hypervigilance in the workplace'" Reid supplied, not looking up.

"Right... and I'm sure it had nothing to do with the little mishap on last months reports?" Prentiss said, casting a teasing glance at Morgan.

Before the latter could retort JJ stepped in, sitting lightly on the edge of Prentiss' desk, "Little mishap? It took me three hours to write that report"

Morgan put up his hands, "Hey hey hey, what? Is it gang up on Derek day?" he looked at Reid, "c'mon kid, back me up"

The young agent looked at him briefly, pen still in hand, "It was an accident..." Morgan nodded and gestured at Reid to the girls, but he wasn't finished, "Although, none of us have ever spilled an entire pot of coffee on all seven monthly reports, an hour before they were due"

Morgan nodded, "Uh huh, I see how it is" he pulled a blank piece of paper off his notepad and crumpled it up, launching it at Reid. It bounced of his head and he looked up in surprise,

"What was that for?"

Prentiss laughed and JJ shook her head. Morgan just scoffed and turned back to twiddling with Garcia's figurine. The clicking of heels about two inches taller than dress regulations stated had Morgan scrambling to hide the thing, he settled on throwing it to JJ who caught it, realized what it was and promptly handed it to Prentiss, who shoved it in her desk drawer.

Garcia walked into the room with a file in her hands. Morgan smiled, "Hey girl, is that your report?"

"Yes and you keep your slippery fingers off of it Derek Morgan" Garcia said pulled it towards her and away from him, she looked around, "Do any of you have coffee?"

JJ laughed, "No Garcia you're fine, we ran out and no ones made a run yet"

Garcia nodded and scanned the area just in case, then set her file down next to Prentiss' computer, "Do you think it was purposeful?"

"Taking away my only sustainable life source?" Reid mumbled, earning a few laughs.

Prentiss shrugged, "If it was, can we blame that on Morgan too?"