The Ring

Hotch was surprised as his five agents knocked on his office door, he could tell something was wrong even before he saw how bad Reid was shaking. When he did, he made a quick excuse on the phone and hung up, beckoning the young agents in, "What's wrong?"

All five of them stood there, looking at each other with worried expressions, silently begging for someone else to explain. Finally, Morgan stepped in, he took the letter from Reid and handed it to Hotch.

"Tucker just delivered that to Reid five minutes ago" He said and then stepped back as Hotch read it. He examined the rings, thinking. When he looked up his expression was still calm, the only tell being his lowered eyebrows. Hotch looked at Reid,

"Have you gotten anything like this before?" He asked, knowing how Reid tended to handle things, he needed to be sure the only reason he was coming to him now wasn't because he happened to be surrounded by the others when he'd opened it.

Reid shook his head, "No, never"

Hotch nodded, "Where's Dave?"

Rossi leaned into view from just outside, "Here, I've already been filled in"

"Okay, Garcia, start searching for recent murders in the DC area, Prentiss and Morgan, see if you can get forensics to pull DNA off the rings, Rossi, JJ and I will go over the letter" He looked at Reid, "Reid, call your mother, make sure she's alright and try and find out if anyone she knows has passed away recently, after that, I want you looking at the handwriting, see if you can find anything."

Reid nodded and filed out of the room with the others. Hotch stood, "and Reid?"

The young man turned, Hotch tilted his chin down a little, "I don't want you going anywhere alone until we find this guy"

Reid adjusted his bag, "Yes sir"

The youngest agent stepped slowly down the stairs, head bent over his phone. It rang three times before a voice sounded on the other end,

"Who is this?" his mother's voice was low, accusing. Reid brushed it off, he was used to her distrust towards phones.

"It's me mom, Spencer" he waited for it to sink in, "Can I ask you some questions?"

His mother sighed, "It's really not the time Spencer"

"Why's that?"

"Jane and I have a funeral to attend to" Jane was Diana's handler, had been for years. Reid tucked his hair behind his ear. He glanced back at the conference room where most of the team was gathered,

"I'm so sorry mom, who's is it?" Reid held his breath and fidgeted with his bag.

Diana sighed again, "Do you remember our neighbor? Harry?"

"Uh.. yeah, he was the one who would bring me a new book every birthday" It was never kid books either, Moby Dick, Jane Eyre, Shakespeare, he'd loved every one.

"Yes. Him and his wife, Sally, died last week"

Reid's breath hitched, he blinked a few times, "How- how did they die?"

Diana made a tsk noise with her tongue, "I'm not sure, really Spencer, I need to go"

Before Reid could say goodbye, she hung up. Reid stood with his phone to his ear for a few more seconds, memories of the kind man who lived next door flooding his mind. Finally, he put his phone back in his pocket and walked into the conference room, quietly setting his bag down in a chair.

"Reid, what did your mother say?" Hotch said, turning from the letter displayed on the table, an evidence bag had been brought in and it lay zipped inside.