Chapter 3 - Forced Marriage

"Childhood, after all, is the first precious coin that poverty steals from a child."

~ Anthony Horowitz, The House of Silk

I wish I had spoken up that day. I wish I had said something. Or done something. But instead, like a lamb to the slaughter I was led to VaZhungu's homestead in the village across the plains. I wish I had stood up for myself, but I had been too scared. The decision had been made. So I kept a stoic face the whole day, trying very hard to embrace my new fate: at just seventeen, I was to become VaZhungu's child bride. 

My mother, though, dear sweet Amai, tried to speak out for me. "Babamukuru, could you please just let her finish her diploma program," she begged. "She only has one term left." But Babamukuru would not hear of it. He threatened to beat her if she continued 'her nagging'. 

"The decision has already been made." He told her firmly. "VaZhungu has already paid the bride price, Mai Paida, and if he wants her to finish school then that is up to him. But as for me, ayiwa, I do not have any more money to send Paida to school."

It was a matter already discussed and finalized by the men. It was settled, my destiny sealed: at the age seventeen and without having completed my education, I was to be VaZhungu's child bride. My future was doomed, my dreams shattered. I would probably never see Tawanda ever again. 

My mother wept for me as I picked up my small suitcase, containing all my worldly possessions, that had been resting against the wall in the kitchen. I kept a stoic face. I had decided just the day before that I would no longer allow anyone to know how I felt about the matter. Apart from my mother, no one else really cared. I kept my eyes low the whole time, so as to avoid stirring up Babamukuru' s wrath. He was already so angry at my mother's audacity to question him.