9. Consequences

“You should try the blue one on. It would look really good on you.” I reluctantly reached over for the dress Jasmine was holding and added it to the four that I already had draped over my arm. So far, she seemed to be a lot more enthusiastic about this whole thing than I was. My mind briefly flashed back to last night, when I called my best friend to tell her the news as well as find out whether Mike did what he promised me he would.

“I knew it!” Jasmine screamed triumphantly into the phone as soon as I told her that I accepted Nick’s proposal to go with him to the formal. “I so totally knew it!”

“It wasn’t my choice.” I grumbled. “He blackmailed me into it.”

“Oh, please,” Jasmine laughed, clearly not believing me. “I bet you’re just waiting to get him alone under the mistletoe.”

“We’re going as friends, Jasm.” I said, my tone just a little sharper than necessary. “I’m pretty sure I’m swearing off guys for a long, long while.”

Jasmine laughed again, making me scoff at her apparent disbelief. “Nat, he’s the only person that’s been making you come out of your shell after the Jace thing, he’s drop dead gorgeous, and he clearly wants you. What’s not to like?”

“Whatever. Anyway, how are your formal plans going?”

“You,” Jasmine said, pausing for emphasis. “Will not believe what happened today.”

“So he asked you?” I said, laughing. Despite what Mike tried to tell me, this was really what he needed. My two best friends would be perfect for each other. And, as the cherry on top, Mike would hopefully not be hurt enough by what I said and cut ties on our own friendship.

“He took me out for dinner at this sushi place that I adore, and then after he got the check, he asked me to go to the formal with him. It was so sweet, Nat, I freaking loved it!"

“I told you so.” I replied, chuckling at her reaction. I think this is the first time I’ve heard Jasmine act this girly. “Now, can we go dress shopping sometime soon? You know I need your fashion sense to find something half-decent that doesn’t cost half my savings.”

I snapped back to reality as Jasmine pulled yet another dress off the rack. I had to admit that this one was gorgeous – a black dress with two thin straps that went up to my mid-thigh and had a beautiful purple silk belt around the waist. I eagerly grabbed it off her hands and prayed to God I would fit into it. After my post break-up depression, my stomach had taken the hit from all the junk foods I’ve been eating to console myself and was much larger than I wanted it to be.

We made our way to the change rooms, going into two adjacent stalls. I slipped on the first dress – a short blue number that brought out my legs and exposed quite a fair bit of cleavage. Frowning at my reflection, I realized that, even though it looked good, it was more appropriate for a club and would simply made me look easier than I was at the school formal. I tugged it off, reaching for the second one. This one was, for lack of a better word, stunning – a floor-length dress made out of beige silk that had a slit up to the thigh and a halter neckline. I slowly slipped it on, frowning at how tight it felt around the midsection.

I looked critically at my reflection in the mirror. Despite a tiny protrusion near the stomach that I vowed to get rid of in the next two weeks by going back to the gym and cutting the after-dinner desserts, the dress fit well and the creamy beige, I had to admit, looked quite good against my skin and brunette hair. I glanced at the price tag on the dress as I twirled around, my eyes widening in shock.

I frowned, my reflection mirroring my expression. I was definitely not willing to pay that much, even for a satiny dress that felt quite this luxurious against my skin. After an inspection of the price tags, another one of my choices was discarded, leaving me with the dress I saw last, which was apparently on a final sale. I tugged it over my head, stretching it out until it fit snugly, coming up to my mid-thigh.