Chapter 2, Sans POV

The sun was thinking about rising when I heard Paps in the kitchen downstairs. A smile twitches on my lips, but I keep my eyes closed. Sleep was too good to waste, after all. My door slams open, bouncing off the wall slightly.

"SANS! GET UP, YOU LAZYBONES! MY FIRST OFFICIAL PATROL IS TODAY!"

"yeah, around noon...." I mutter, yawning wide. I open an eye to look over at him. His white hair stuck out at odd angles, but his orange eyes gleamed with purpose. While the official uniform was green and brown, he'd managed to work in his orange scarf. His badge gleamed on his chest, which was understandable considering how long he polished it nightly.

"SANS! DON'T YOU WANT TO COME TO MORNING TRAINING WITH ME? CAPTAIN UNDYNE WANTS YOU SPARRING WITH SOME OF THE RECRUITS WITH ME!" Oh, right. Undyne had been trying to recruit me for months into the Border Patrol. Luckily, I always had an escape.

"sorry, bro. alphys wants me to meet her at that monster lab. something about finding a clue." I wasn't lying. I got the text last night, but wanted to wait until I had a good reason to pop by that creepy place. I didn't know how Alphys could stand it there.

"OH, RIGHT. UNDYNE SAID ALPHYS WAS REALLY UPSET ABOUT SOMETHING LAST NIGHT. WELL, GOOD LUCK ON YOUR SEARCH FOR THE MONSTER (Y/N), BROTHER! AND DON'T SLACK OFF BY GOING TO GRILLBYZ! COME JOIN ME ON PATROL IF YOU HAVE TIME!" With that, Paps spun back out of the room. I heard him clatter down the stairs, and the front door open.

"BREAKFAST IS ON THE COUNTER!" The door slammed shut, and silence descended on the house. I was wide awake now, thinking over what he said.

"undyne said alphys was upset? what did you find, al....?" I got up, grabbing my jacket off a chair and slipping my feet into my all weather slippers. Best purchase ever, and the pink really made them noticable. I stepped out of my room...

...and into the halls of the Advanced Barrier Research Institution....or the Monster Lab as most call it. I walk down the dingy corridor, noticing that someone had tried to clean it somewhat. Either that or the damn thing was leaking and puddles were forming on the cracked linoleum. New posters were up on the peeling wallpaper, advertising various Mettaton shows and performances. I grimace slightly.

"still dont know what paps likes about that guy..." The room Alphys claimed for her office was a few halls over, but I always made a point to pass the experiment holding cells. All of them looked awful, but one in particular made me stop.

Around the entrance to Cell 915 were the blackened marks of an electrical blast. Inside, the walls bore scorch marks from plasma arcs, and the floor showed a perfect circle from where all the destruction originated. Frisk didn't remember much about his time in the facility, but he remembered (y/n), and the escape that led him to the Human side of the barrier. From what Alphys and Mettaton decoded from the files left behind, this had been (y/n)'s cell.

I still think the kid died, probably as a result of whatever the fuck happened here, but Frisk was determined to find them again. I pull away from the cell, and continue to Alphys.

The small, yellow haired scientists was hunched in an armchair, eating potato chisps and karamal popcorn. Her thick glasses reflected the odd, sparkly anime playing on the gigantic observation screen along the wall.

"hey, what's up doc?" She shrieked in surprise, chisps and popcorn flying around the room as she leapt to her feet. Turning to face me, she had one hand on her heaving chest.

"S-s-sans! D-d-d-don't d-do that!" I give her my usual lazy grin.

"aw, c'mon doc. don't look so mad. didn't mean to scare ya." She huffed and adjusted her glasses.