two

District 6. They were coming up to district 6 to retrieve tributes. That would be my chance. I have a 30 minute window in which both my father and mother will be out of the house and I can take my chance then.

Backdoor, sunflowers, train.

Three stops. The train station is only a ten minute walk from here. I can make it if I run, in five. I have three days to plan this out. Three days to get my affairs in order before I do this. I was taking a chance. I knew the costs, and I knew the risk. But I needed to be a voice from the Capitol to show what these games really are. To show who Snow really is. To make some sort of difference.

A knock on the front door startled me as I hopped up from the sofa I was seated on. I hesitantly walked over to it, and looked out the side window to see Jackson standing there. Letting out a sigh, I quickly opened the door and pulled him inside.

"What?" I snapped at him, frustrated with his being here.

"You're crazy, that's what." He snapped back, backing me into the wall.

"And why's that?" I crossed my arms, irritated with his persistance.

"Don't act stupid, I got your letter." He rolled his eyes and went back to looking concerned for my well-being. "You can't join the games, Arizona." He whispered.

"I have to, Jack. I've got to do something." I shook my head and looked to my hands. I could hear him sigh as he leaned his head back in frustration, sighing deeply.

"It's not your responsibility to do something! You aren't thinking clearly. This isn't your job to save the world-"

"Will you be quiet? My mother is home!" I shouted in a hushed tone, punching his shoulder. "I don't care if it's not my job. It's my duty! I don't care if what I do doesn't work, at least I'm doing something instead of sitting on my privileged ass doing absolutely nothing!" I protested once again, trying to make him see what I see.

"And if you die?" He asked me, raising a brow.

"Then I die for a cause." And with that, I stormed out of my room, and then out the house, with him following close behind me. "Don't you get it, Jack? This is something I've felt strongly about for years. You can't change my mind." I continued as we stood surrounded by the bright, tall, yellow flowers.

Turning to him, I placed my hands to my sides. His eyes gave away his feelings. But I knew he wouldn't tell anyone of my plans, because then I'd never speak to him again, and he didn't want that. He walked over to me, slowly, and pulled me into a tight embrace.

"Then you better win the damned thing, Ari." He muttered quietly, into the top of my head. I nodded and pulled away, watching him as he placed his hands in his pockets and walked off through the field, disappearing into the sunlight.

I knew the odds, and those odds were low. I looked over to the house I had lived in my entire life. I was lucky to live in the Capitol. I spent my whole life knowing I would be safe and secure, never having to stress about food, or clothes, or shelter. Most people in Panem would take refuge in that thought. But there can never be safety when children are forced to kill each other for entertainment.

The next few days went by fast. And before I knew it, it was already 7 am. I stared out the window to see my mother and father walking out the front gate and down the sidewalk. Now was my chance and I needed to take it.

Backdoor, sunflowers, train.

As soon as my parents were out of view, I grabbed my bag, and rushed out the backdoor, holding onto my backpack tightly, and then rushed through the field. I could feel the sunflower stems scratching into the flesh on my arms, but I kept running.

Finally, I made it to the sidewalk, and across the street. My feet carried me further and further down the road. I could just barely see the train. I continued on, going as fast as I possibly could with labored breathing and nerves skyrocketing within my body. Once I finally reached the station, I checked the time board to see District 6's train was leaving in just two minutes. I made it to the ticket counter and was finally able to stop running.

"How may I assist you?" The woman asked me as I continued to catch my breath. I could sense she was growing impatient waiting for me to calm down, and finally the words escaped my quivering lips, placing the money on the counter before her.

"One ticket to district 6." I breathed. "Please."