nine

The crowd's applause was loud and ear splitting. I stared through the curtain at them, as the current interview wrapped up. Mayneck approached behind me, resting his hand on my shoulder gently. "You ready for this?" He asked, quietly. "Know everything you plan on saying?"

"Yeah. Just gonna tell them to shove it and eat the rich." I smirked to him, as he didn't even let out a chuckle. "Come on, I'm fucking with you, it'll be fine." I told him as he nodded, nudging me onward.

I stepped onto the stage, revealing myself to them as the noise intensified. Caesar smiled at me, in awe, staring at the outfit. All black once more but this time we went with something a little more, out there, you could say. The skin tight dress clung to my body, I was surprised I could even walk. I had another antler crown placed atop my head. I suppose deer were my signature thing now, since I had been nicknamed Capitol Doe by nearly everyone.
I made my way to the chair where Caesar shook my hand and we seated ourselves as the audience silenced themselves. "Arizona! What a pleasure to see you again." He beamed as I smiled. This was ridiculous, truly. "In case you were unaware," he said to the cameras and crowd "I happen to know Arizona's family." The crowd let out an 'Ah!' As he smiled more. "Isn't that right?" He turned to me.

"Yes, and they're wondering when you're coming back over for more of that glazed shrimp you promised." I winked, touching his shoulder in a friendly way, playing along with the whole 'look at me, I'm a tribute who has connections' act. He let out a happy laugh, as I smiled to the crowd, as fake as I possibly could.

My mind quickly thought back to Jackson, who I knew was watching as this circus aired. I felt sorry for the way we had left things, but we both knew we loved each other, and our friendship couldn't be broken over something as this.

"Well, win the games and I'll bring you pounds of glazed shrimp!" He leaned back in his chair. "So, tell me, why the deer?" He asked of me as I remembered where I was once again.

"My stylist says it's a metaphor. Kind of like a deer caught in headlights. But really all of you are the deer, since I surprised everyone." I gave another large, fake smile.

"Ah ha! I like that." He waved his index finger at me as the crowd applauded and then quieted down. "Now, the question we all were really wondering," he stopped himself, creating tension for the show. "Why did you volunteer?" He asked in all seriousness. I sat there for a moment, adjusting myself within my seat. There was a handful of lies I could have come up with. But instead of looking weak and saying I wanted to do a nice thing, or some other bullshit. I said the biggest lie of all.

"It seemed fun." I shrugged. He let out a laugh once more. I swear he laughed for everything. But I had met him outside those cameras. He was a nice man, but nothing amused him this way, he was actually quite serious the majority of the time.

"And what does your boyfriend think?" He questioned me some more.

"No boyfriend." I smiled, cooly. "But if you know of anyone available." I implied with a smile, playing along more to this childish and outright stupid performance. He roared with laughter once more and stood up, as I followed.

"The Capitol Doe, Arizona Stark, everyone!" He shouted my name as if it were a name to be proud of. Clapping erupted once more as I exited stage left to Tallie and Mayneck. I watched as Lando walked onto the stage and was introduced. He was dull, but it was alright. It's hard to pretend to be happy when you knew you'd most likely be dying very soon. I just became pretty good at pretending at a very young age.

Tributes continued to go on and off the stage as something grasped onto my shoulder and I jumped back, turning to see Peeta.

"Jesus, kid, you scared me." I breathed, clutching onto my chest as my heartbeat sped up.

"Sorry," he laughed. "You did good out there. Sure know how to please a crowd." He complimented my brilliant performance.

"Spent so many years doing it for my family, it's just an old habit." I informed him.

"Peeta Mellark!" Caesar's voice rang.

"Well, good luck." I smiled and he smiled back, walking onto the stage. I looked to the television screen mounted on the wall behind me and watched as the two of them talk.

"Our showers are different?" Caesar asked.

"Yeah, tell me, do I smell like roses to you?" He asked him, as Caesar hesitantly leaned closer to him, and sniffed. I crossed my arms, with a smirk smeared across my face.

"Do I?" Caesar asked him now. The crowd was absolutely loving it. Peeta leaned in and they both smiled, leaning back in their chairs. "So Peeta, tell me, is there a special girl back home?"

"Ah, no." Peeta laughed it off, awkwardly.

"Oh, come on. A handsome boy like you!" Caesar insisted, trying to get a better answer out of him.

"I mean, there's this one girl but she's not from back home." He finally admitted. I felt my eyebrow raise up a little.

"Well, you win this thing, and she's sure to go out with you." Caesar informed him, knowingly. I watched Peeta's face drop a little.

"I don't think winnings going to help me all that much." He finally said.

"And why's that?" Caesar grew more curious and the audience watched carefully. I found myself biting onto my middle finger's nail and my knee bouncing rapidly as I waited to hear his response. The camera zoomed in closer on his face.

"Because she's here as well."