Chapter One - MetroStar

MetroStar.Com Studio - Metropolis, Delaware

Cat Grant stood in front of a blue screen, smiling at a camera as she gave her lines. "Welcome back to MetroStar.Com. Have you ever seen a superhero in action first-hand? If you haven't, that's alright. We tend to know many things about superheroes thanks to news and interviews. But there are things that even the biggest superhero fans might not know. This will start off a series of videos about the heroes we've all seen in the news countless times. Here are ten things you might not know about Metropolis's own Man of Tomorrow, Superman..."

The forced smile on Cat's face persisted as she discussed items on the list. Chloe Sullivan watched from behind the camera. She was just a writer for the website, only stepping in front of the camera when it was absolutely necessary.

She laughed quietly to herself as she listened to the "little-known" facts about Superman. She couldn't help it. Chloe knew more about Superman than almost anyone; he had been her best friend for about nineteen years.

Chloe hadn't written this script herself, as Cat identified as "Superman's biggest fan". If only the gorgeous blonde knew the past Chloe shared with the Man of Steel. She knew every detail of his powerset, his weaknesses, his taste in movies and music, and his favorite pastimes. Most of all, Chloe knew Superman's secret identity, Clark Kent.

Chloe and Clark had met when she moved to Smallville, Kansas from Metropolis the summer before her ninth grade year. She'd gone to live there with her father Gabriel after her mother Moira suffered a mental breakdown. Gabriel was good friends with Clark's parents, and they immediately hit it off.

Chloe had always been interested in investigative journalism, so she joined the school paper in their freshmen year of high school. As her love for journalism grew, so did her suspicions of Clark's often strange behavior. She figured out about his superpowers on her own, and then he told her his story. She'd never run the story. That honor would go to Daily Planet reporter Lois Lane years later.

After high school, Chloe attended Metropolis University, where Clark had also been accepted. He grew to love journalism, as well, and he and Chloe helped each other through their classes. They graduated after four years. Clark had immediately been hired at the Daily Planet, but Chloe had struggled to find work until she was found by MetroStar.Com.

It was funny how life worked sometimes.

MetroStar.Com wasn't all bad. Chloe had fun researching celebrities, movies, and TV shows, but it wasn't what she'd wanted to do. She wanted to investigate hard crimes and crack tough cases through journalism. Instead, she was currently working on a list of "Ten Things You Might Not Know About Batman". It was honestly embarrassing.

In front of the camera, Cat wrapped up the video. "So maybe you don't know your heroes that well. Check back next week to learn ten things you might not know about Batman."

"And cut!" yelled the director, Jerry. "That's lunch, everybody."

The smile vanished from Cat's face, and her shoulders slumped. She walked away from the blue screen and retrieved her phone from on top of a speaker. The smile reappeared on her face. She locked her cellphone and carried it at her side as she approached Chloe. "Guess who has a date tonight?"

"Another one?" Chloe asked. She kicked herself for engaging with Cat. Chloe wasn't a mean person, but Cat most often got on her nerves.

Cat scoffed. "What about you, Sullivan? You're going on a lunch date, aren't you?"

"Yeah." Chloe picked up her off-white purse and pulled the strap over her shoulder. "But he's just a friend."

"You are fibbing, Sullivan," said Cat, following Chloe across the spacious set. Her hot pink heels clacked against the cement floor. "Spill. Who is he?"