02 | Soumya

every night her thoughts
weighed heavily on her soul
but every morning
she would get up to fight
another day,
every night she survived.

- r.h.sin

the girl who isn't an eye candy

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

      The autumn has arrived. Soumya looked outside the window of the bus, her midnight black eyes admired the leaves painted in all kinds of beautiful reds and oranges. The world seemed truly alive and vibrant, the crisp golden leaves falling off the trees creating a splendid royal blanket that crunched beneath
their feet.

An unpleasured sigh left her lips when she thought of her destination. School has always been the same for her, it was a place where she shared some unpleasant and terrifying memories with her schoolmates, they are the reason why she dreaded waking up every morning and they never forget to remind her that she can never be beautiful like them with her fat body.

"I don't want to be beautiful like them," She thought out loud, a scowl taking place on her face as she, for a moment, forgot about the existence of other passengers.

"Silly girl," the old woman chuckled beside her, "Everyone wants to be pretty. But they are right, in a way."

Soumya was intelligent enough to not be a ray of sarcastic sunshine and tell the woman to keep her nose to herself rather than other people's life. And not to mention, she was never in a good mood on a Monday morning.

"They are just like autumn,"

The elderly lady was confused, "How?"

Soumya fabricated a smile, somedays, it was even hard to breathe. "Aren't they beautiful?" The old lady nodded, admiration in her eyes as she looked at the autumn leaves. "The sun burned and shone for them, painting it in brilliant shades of crimson. Everyone sees them for their beauty but once they began to fade, the trees let them go. It may seem like they are dancing in the wind but the leaves are dying. The same people who were eagerly waiting for autumn to take pictures of them or admire at the sight, walks over them, crushing them like they never meant anything to them."

She sighed, "Beauty fades with time. I hope you fall in love with the beauty of a person's heart because it will remain forever. It doesn't matter whether they are fat or thin, fair or dark, short or tall. The kindness in your soul outweigh the beauty of physical appearance. And trust me, when I saw I had rather look like this than girls on the magazines because I don't want to be beautiful like them. I am beautiful in my own way."

The lady was stunned, flabbergasted. "I am s-"

"Don't make girls around you insecure about their body, tell them how amazing they are and sometimes, your words can make a difference." Soumya had a small smile on her lips, she looked content. "I don't want any of them to go through what I went - self hatred, harm, lack of confidence, depression, anxiety, insecure and thoughts of suicide because in society's eyes, I won't be beautiful because I am not tall, slim and will never be good enough but it took me years to rewrite the definition of beautiful. And I won't let anyone destroy it for me."

And before the elder lady could say something, Soumya was off the bus to her school. People might say she was fat but for the ones who know the meaning of real beauty, they knew she was the moon in the daylight.

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Vote. Comment. Share

Thank you so much for reading this, I am trying my best to find a way out of writer's block. I appreciate your honest feedback, go ahead and comment your thoughts. Stay blessed, be kind. You are beautiful in your own way ❤️

 You are beautiful in your own way ❤️