Chapter 16: The Trial

The trial started with the Dictator slamming the gavel. "Call to order," he said, breathily, "we are presenting the case that Ms. Pollock was accused of illegally feeding the prisoners. First, we will hear from Ms. Pollock, the plaintiff."
    "Dictator," Faith emphasized, "I plead guilty," she said forcefully.
The Dictator cackled, his eyes fluttering, "Well thank you, that makes my job easier!"
    "May I explain my case, sir?" Faith asked dangerously.
    "I suppose so." the Dictator sighed heavily while checking his watch.
    "First, did it ever occur to you I am more than a dumb child. I can figure out simple puzzles, for example, you killed Mom to save your reputation, your plan to supposedly save everyone from the plague was really to gain power and what you claimed was a harmless jail, you are starving people. I am ashamed to have you as a father, and I hope to live up to Mom. The bad guys never win by the way, and I hope the small time when you are in power is worth it. You are torturing millions, you killed your wife, you are starving children, and you betrayed your daughter, so I hope you are happy with yourself." Faith said triumphantly.
    "You are just like your mother," the Dictator said. And just as significant a threat the Dictator thought. A pistol in his back pocket, he fired at Faith. Not ready, Faith fell to the ground.
    "May she Rest In Peace with her mother," the Dictator said darkly, "and let me live forever in the power I will continue to consume."