T W E N T Y - S E V E N

based off 12.23
all along the watchtower

~*~

     Juno pulled back up to the small house by the edge of the lake, grabbing the grocery bags as she got out. She walked inside to see Castiel walking in from the back door. 

     "Hey," Juno smiled. "I got a few more of Kelly's requests." 

     "God!" Kelly yelled from upstairs. They looked at each other, Juno turning to the stairs and walking up first. Castiel was right on her trail, both of them entering the nursery to see Kelly on the floor with the instructions for the crib in her hand. 

     "Kelly. I told you I'd put this together," Cas said bending down and taking the instructions from her. "I'm very good at following instructions. And you need to rest." 

     "No, I don't," Kelly said trying to get up. 

     "Kelly..." Cas snapped. Juno sighed, helping Kelly up to her feet. 

     "No, Cas, I don't," Kelly snapped. "I can't. I don't know how long until... I don't know how long I have left. And I...I'm never gonna be able to teach him how to ride a bike or watch him get married or even look him in the eyes. But I can build him a stupid Swedish crib! I can do that."

     "Kelly, I know how hard this is," Juno said taking a small step towards Kelly. The woman looked at Juno questionably, the red head sighing. "That's a lie. I have no idea how hard this is for you. But I promise you... I will do everything. I will give my life for your son. And I will raise him. And I will make him someone you will be proud of. I'll be the mother that you're not allowed to be." 

     "I know," Kelly said tearing up. 

     "We'll give you some time, and if you can't build this stupid Swedish crib, we'll help you later," Juno said with a small smile. Kelly nodded, Juno turning to Cas. The two walked out of the room, Juno leaving the door cracked. Castiel and Juno walked outside, Castiel glancing back up at the house. "She's okay, Cas." 

     "I know she is," he answered with a sigh. Juno grabbed Castiel's hand as she turned to face him. 

     "Who'd have thought we would be chosen to be parents to Lucifer's child?" Juno asked tilting her head at Cas. 

     "This isn't something I saw happening on our journey," Castiel answered truthfully. 

     "Children were out of the question in general," Juno said with a small scoff. 

     "Yes, it would've been forbidden and you would've died," Castiel told her. 

     "That's very reassuring, Cas. Thanks," Juno said laughing slightly. She leaned towards him, kissing him lightly. She pulled back slowly, lacing their fingers together. "I'm gonna go unpack the groceries." Juno walked back into the house, Cas watching with a light smile. 

          *****

     Castiel pulled up to the house, him and Kelly getting out and walking to the trunk. Juno stepped out of the house, walking towards them swiftly. 

     "I'm just saying, the checkout guy looked at us like we were super weird," Kelly said out of breath. 

     "Ah, you'll get used to it," Juno reassured her. 

     "Okay, but...Cas, I mean, he went a little overboard," Kelly said looking at Juno.  

     "I disagree," Cas said. He pulled the tarp off to reveal many boxes of diapers, definitely more than they needed. "I have read 74 books on child rearing, and there is one thing that they all agree on– everybody poops."