Chapter 24:You Can Count On Us

I couldn't go to work for the next 2 days. I couldn't do anything. I was still rethinking what happened the other day. It was the second day and I did had tears.

Ruby understand completely, Grace didn't know the details but she figured it had something to do with Spot. The first day I didn't show they visited, i didnt know they would. Me and Ruby trust each othet very much now, we gave each other spare keys to our apartments. Ruby then told me how Grace ran to the newsies and began shouting at Spot.

"Why are you so mean! I hate you! Now Isabella might not come back! Ruby get off of me!"

I appreciate Grace standing up for me, but if the Brooklyn newsies know something is up with me and Spot...all of New York will surely hear. Oh why do I care. They've probably heard the story of Spot breaking up with someone before.

I sat up from my bed. I looked around my room for something to do. I couldn't really go to work now. I looked around until I saw something in the corner. It was my Ukulele.

I haven't played it in...oh I don't know how long. I remember playing it near the start of working at the Deli.
(Chapter 2 I think)

I picked up the instrument, it was quite dusty so I cleaned it up a bit. I also turned it, though it was quite hard. After I looked at it before playing the first chord.

Though it brought a lot of memories

-Spot and Isabella have been dating for 1 month and a bit -

(A bit 😂)

"That's C?"

"Yeah. See you're getting it"

We were in my room and Spot had found my Ukulele. He kinda begged me to teach him some. He explained he knew a guy called James in Manhattan you played it.

"Ok ok so it'd C G F C"

"You got it" I laughed leaning in into my pillows. He smirked playing that bit again. He was like a toddler learning something new and doing it over over again.

"Quite being a newsie be a professional Ukulele player"

"Ha funny" He rolled his eyes placing the ukulele aside. He then proceeded to give me a hug. We chatted a bit. Though stayed mostly quiet. It wasn't awkward, even though we fell silent after talking a lot 10 seconds ago.

"Spot Conlon professional Ukulele player"

We both fell into fits of laughter.

--------(back to the sad times----

I took a breath before I actually started to play it. I was a bit slow but I finally remembered a song. I remember some of the words as well. I sang a little, though my vocie stuck in my throat sometimes because I was just crying.

Though I didn't hear the door slowly open

"And rain will make the flowers grow"

I played a little more before I finshed. I never realised how much I missed that ukulele. I might play it more now.

"You're still good at playing that"

My heart stopped. I couldn't be dreaming. But he hates me. Why would he be here? No I must be have illusions