Prologue: Given Task

~Nathen Vasphil~
Time: February 06, 1:30 PM
Place: Vasphil's Mansion, Dining Room

Amaya and I were waiting in the dining room, waiting for our father. The room was so quiet that the sound of cricket was easy to hear. The smell of the foods that were served on the table was as wonderful as it looked. And by the other side of the table, my younger sister, Amaya, was sitting on the chair.

Amaya had dark brown eyes and short trim hair. She kept on click and spinning the table spoon, speeding up as she got more impatient. She looked left then right as though she planned on sneaking something. I could tell from Amaya's face that she was going to stuff some food in that small mouth of hers.

"I'm gonna eat." said Amaya, breaking the silence. She reached out her hand to the food. "Stop!", I exclaimed as I tried to give a serious face.

"You really can't make a serious face, can you?"

"Amaya. I am serious. Father won't like it" I said, still trying to look serious.

"Do you think I can wait? I. Am. Hungry." yelled Amaya, then she tried her very best to look angry. Obviously, she doesn't have the slightest talent to have a serious face. "You needs to attend an acting school or something." I said while giving her a slight smile. Suddenly, she dropped the act and asked, "What's taking him so long? I hope he isn't lost on his way from his room to the dining room." I wanted to oppose, but it is possible to be lost in this mansion. Even sometimes I get lost in this house.

"I thought that was a funny joke..." said Amaya. Then I looked at her. She was staring at me. Was she expecting me to laugh? "Ha. Ha. Ha." I gave her a robotic laugh. Then she crossed her arms, sticking out her tongue.

Out of gloom, loud footsteps were coming from the stairs. Anyone who lives in this house can identify the source of the sound. I glanced at Amaya, hoping she had her manners.

It was John Vasphil, our father. "So... you kids are already here. I'm glad you waited for me." he said. Then he glared at Amaya and continued, "I was sure Amaya wouldn't show up. After all, she really doesn't seem to love our little family moments." It was obvious to see the anger on Amaya's face. I wanted to defend her but I just couldn't. I was... scared... afraid to be against our father.

There was silence for a while. Amaya faced down. She seemed to be in deep thought. Father took his seat which was bigger than the rest. "Shall we start eating?" he said. As soon as he said that, Amaya started stuffing food in her mouth. She looked like a lion that just ate after starving for a week. I grabbed the fork and started eating salad.

"I have different tasks for you two." said father, taking a sip from his glass of wine. "I have been invited to an opening ceremony party of a new hotel named 'OnePrime' for tomorrow night." continued father, looking at me, then glancing at Amaya.

"Amaya."

"Yes..."

"You will be locked in the house the whole time while Leon, Nathen and I attend the party. That is your task."

Amaya was shocked. She stood up from her seat. "Why am I gonna be locked up in this gloomy house all alone?!" yelled Amaya furiously. "You have been doing nothing but causing trouble in the past. This ceremony is not some sort of teenagers' Friday night party. This is important!" he explained in a not-so-gentle way.

Father started to look around. "Leon!" he bawled. It didn't take long for Leon to come. "Yes, sir." replied Leon. "Take Amaya and lock her up in her room. Now." ordered father. "Right, sir." obeyed Leon. He got closer to Amaya and grabbed her by the hand. Amaya fought back. She started kicking him on the leg. Then he grabbed her leg, causing her to fall in the ground. "Amaya!" I yelled, "Amaya, are you okay?" I stood up to help her. "Nathen!" shouted father, "I wouldn't do that if I were you." I sat back.

There was nothing else I could do... Why can't I just help her... why?

Amaya's eyes were filled with tears. She stood up from the ground by herself and slowly headed to her room. Leon followed her. Then a few moments later, a click was heard from her room. Shortly after that, Leon came back and told father that he had locked her up.

Father continued eating his food. He drank from his glass and started cutting a piece from the freshly cooked chicken. I tried to eat as if nothing had happened, but I couldn't. I looked at Amaya's plate. It was full of different foods. She didn't finish eating.

I just wish I could have done something... or anything to help her... this life is just a pain. It is hard for me to see her suffer. And it is all because of father's manipulative words. The words control me... and hurt her.

Father finished his food and started looking at me. "Nathen. I have a different task for you." he said, "There will be a man named Joe Erson who will be attending the ceremony. All I want you to do is make sure he and Walter Prime won't, by any chance, talk."

I was surprised. Did he just say Walter Prime? "You know who Prime is, right?" asked father. "Of course. He is the famous actor." I answered. "Good. For your information, he is the owner of the hotel." added father.

I started to get curious. Why is this somehow connected to Walter Prime? And who is this Joe Erson?

Father gave me a picture and continued, "That is Joe Erson." I carefully examined the picture. He seemed fine. Dark and curly brown hair. Light brown eyes. He looks like he's in his 30's. "That is it. This is your mission. Leon will be with me throughout the party. After all, I need my right-hand man by my side. He has been serving us for eleven years ever since he was eighteen. I trust he should be with me." commented father. Then he stood up from his seat. "You can go. And give Amaya some food. I don't want Leon's effort to go to waste after making this extraordinary meal." suggested father. "Here... Take the key to Amaya's room." He threw the key. Then left, leaving me alone in this room.

I took Amaya's plate and headed to her room.