Whisper Four

"I will never apologize for saving your life, even if it costs me my own."

You could barely hold your tears.

You sat by his bed, your fingers grasping your robes as you bit your lip. You needed to calm down. Kouen was out of immediate danger, imperial physicians said as much, but his pale face and bandages around his head and torso made your heart quiver in fear.

You were stupid. You dove into danger alone. You were just too excited as you saw entrance to labyrinth on your path, so you decided that you could conquer it. In the end the djinn chose you as their king, yet there was no celebration since Kouen, who along with Koumei and a few attendants followed you, were now lying hurt.

You had a few bruises on your own and a nasty wound going down your back, but it was nothing like Kouen's. He almost died.

''I'm so sorry,'' you muttered for the hundredth time.

His eyes fluttered open.

''What are you... doing here, princess?" he asked, his voice quiet and coarse. His red eyes landed on your small from beside his bed.

''You're awake, thank gods," you sighed in small relief. ''I'm so, so sorry! I shouldn't have done that. I'm-"

"Stop it."

You clumped your mouth shut.

After taking a small breath in, you decided to continue, ''It is my fault that you're hurt."

''You made a decision of going onto the dungeon, if you're going to regret it now, what was even the point?" he asked, his narrowed eyes never leaving your form.

You blinked at his blunt words.

He was getting up, and without any means to stop him, you helped him to sit up. Kouen was towering over your form, as years of accumulation strength and muscles allowed him to grow high. But even then, he looked a tired and frail. Something to which you were not accustomed too.

You took a moment to gather your thoughts and spoke, ''I don't regret going into the dungeon. I feel like it's the only way for me to expand my little golden cage I've been put into. Since I am a princess. But I am to blame for your wounds and endangering Koumei and rest of attendants.''

He let out a sigh, ''we're all your attendants, to fight for you and serve. What is there to be blamed for?"

You glared at him, ''I refuse to be only protected and giving nothing in return."

Kouen went quiet, which wasn't unusual in his case, yet the silence unnerved you. You wanted him to scold you, to reprimand you for your behavior and make you promise to never to do anything so reckless in future. He was quiet instead.

''Say something," you looked down to your hands on your knees.

"I will never apologize for saving your life, even if it costs me my own," he uttered in the end. ''Not only because it is my responsibility, but also because I refuse to let you get hurt. If you're willing to do anything in return then get stronger.''

Your mouth went agape.

''Stop moping around, princess,'' he said decisively, his words hitting you hard, making your back straighten. ''Get a hold of yourself. Now you've got a djinn, don you? Train, get stronger, get better. This is all what is to ask in return.

''Yes."

Smile slowly crept onto your lips, as you considered his words.

****

look at me updating, wow wow